Daisy has arthritis

Thread: Daisy has arthritis

2LabsInNEPA Guest

DefaultDaisy has arthritis

Daisy will be 10 this coming June. She's been limping a lot lately and about a week ago, after a play session, she wouldn't put any weight on her left rear leg. Lynn works at a College where they have a vet tech program with an operating Vet Clinic. We had Daisy in for her shots and the vet said they'd schedule her in for an X-ray on her knee. Since it is part of the training and Daisy serves as a test patient, it costs nothing for the X-ray.

As it turns out, she's got arthritis in the knee. She's on medication now and after a few weeks, we'll see if we want to do some form of therapy. The vet mentioned laser therapy - says they have had amazing results in restoring function in dogs much worse than our Daisy girl.

Now she's like me - one arthritic knee to slow us down. :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daisy has arthritis

Poor girl. I hope the meds are helping.

Won't someone please feed me!

Tundra Aries Guest

I hope the meds help, poor girl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Hope her meds help. Are you giving her any supplements like glucosamine/chondrontin?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Just part of the aging process, Mark. Don't forget moist heat and massage to give Daisy temporary relief. Massaging their joints is really quite relaxing for the massager and massagee alike. I love to do Paddy's ankles and lower spine.

Seamus and Flynn

2LabsInNEPA Guest

Don't I know it's a part of the aging process!* :-[ I was told 10 years ago by an Army doctor that I was 5 years away from a knee replacement. Despite some mild pain from time to time, I'm still hanging in there. Just had to change my lifestyle a bit - running every day has ceased to be an option.* ;D

I was giving Daisy G&C every day until the reports came out questioning the effectiveness.* She's on Deramaxx now and what a huge difference. In just two days she's now putting weight on the knee and walking with only a mild limp. And, I will take any excuse to spend some time petting/rubbing her leg!!* ;D

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

The Deramaxx is great. When Paddy has a really creaky day in the winter he gets a half tablet and another half later on if I don't see some substantial relief.

Seamus and Flynn

Dawn is offline Senior Member

I'll have to ask my vet about Deramaxx. I was giving Mocha rimadyl for awhile, but it doesn't agree with her stomach at all.

2LabsInNEPA Guest

It works great for Daisy - a bigh difference in her in jest days. But, she has an iron stomach. SJe once ate rat poison and we tried to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide...she loved it. The vet tried with something else..she loved it. Finally, they thought they have to stuff activated charcoal down her thoat...of course, she loved it and ate it out of a bowl. ;D

budbud is offline Senior Member

I hope she starts to feel better soon and let us know about what treatment you will go with interested to know about that laser treatment