Just Labradors banner

Totem 16 1/2 years now...

35K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  dinkypeabody 
#1 · (Edited)
Totem is now 16 1/2 years she's doing really well for such an old girl. She's now on tablets for her arthritis in her back legs but she's doing amazingly well, still a very happy girl, she loves her food and a couple of walks around the garden everyday other than that she sleeps all day. We watched Marley and me the other night omg that was so sad : ( I thought it would be a good way to let my girls (9, 7,6 1/2 & 5 yrs old) understand what would happen with Totem soon and help prepare them for our lose. I can't believe she has lived this long the vet says she's the dog that keeps on living....that makes me happy but I know she'll be going soon and that breaks my heart....anyways see how happy she is still ....

See less See more
#2 ·
She is beautiful! 16 + is amazing and I pray I get somewhere close to that with the quality of life you describe with my 2. Her face is so pretty!

#8 ·
thank you!!
Totie is just the sweetest and most polite Labby I've ever known...now Miss Cade is the complete opposite, the most naughtiest & rudest Labby I've known...lol
I've always fed my girls a raw food diet with lots of chicken necks, wings etc and raw beef bones, no real reason just that I hated serving them can food and couldn't afford vet biscuits. A few months ago Totem's weight dropped from 28kg to 24kg so I knew I had to change her diet, she's never been a fat Lab, her usual adult weight was around 30kg. Our vet says she's the oldest large breed dog she's treated and she thinks that's because she stayed slim. Our vet decided to put Totie on Royal Canine Mobility for large dogs which she thought would help her weight come back up and help with the arthritis. It's been a few months and her weight is now around 27-28 and she's having less trouble getting up but still seems to struggle sitting down...poor baby. Totie has only had her puppy shots and then I missed lots of years as I couldn't afford them until our vet said she was getting old and needed extra protection...Im still not sure if I've done the right thing, but she has Carprofen (Rimadyl I think) for her arthritis, heartworm and is wormed regularly. It's hard knowing exactly what to do with your Labs...I really have no idea...lol... but somehow Totie is doing well and is getting ready to go run over the rainbow bridge so Im just making her comfortable until she tells me it's time to go.

#11 ·
What a beautiful girl.

And what an amazing age! wow! She seems to be around the same size as my Luna. She's 27.3 kg and spot on. Luna's turned 9, but I hope for many years to come, and Totem gives me hope :)

#12 ·
my old Labby girl (now 16 & 8months) had a vet visit today to see why she's peeing all the time, the vet said she'd do a blood test as she's sure her kidneys were failing and she'd only have a couple of months left.....she came back 10mins later and said she really can't believe it the results are perfect and it's just a bladder infection... yay Totiegirl : )

#19 ·
she is gorgeous and looks like a rel sweetheart. <3
We had a beautiful boy for almost 15 years, he had epilepsy his whole life due to complications from his birth. He was in a very first litter and 2 of the dogs in the litter (that I know of) had it. He had a wonderful life anyway. <3 He was a very loved and content (and spoiled) dog. His name was BJ and we loved him to pieces. He was a good boy who brought us a lot of joy and we miss him terribly every day.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Now we have Bear :) He is totally opposite of BJ so far! LOL we love him to pieces though!! Silly ole Bear! Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

#21 · (Edited)
Jillywilly, im sure you miss your boy I've only got to start thinking about Totie gone and I start to tear up....geez they really get in our hearts don't they!! btw Totie is still doing well, she's having a visit with the vet every month now just to keep an eye on her...and she's 17 on the 18th October only a couple of months away and at the moment it looks like she'll be still here to celebrate : )

#24 ·
Totiegirl isn't doing so well this week....she is tripping over easily and finds it hard to step up one small step in the garden. She's 2 months short of her 17th birthday and I know in my heart she will either go soon or I'll be putting her down...Im absolutely heartbroken but I know she's had an amazing life and I'll be spoiling her rotten even more from now on. awwww my poor sweet old Labby girl Im sooooooo going to miss her : (

#27 ·
Totem just had an ear infection which must have been painful causing her to walk around in a circle...and I thought she'd lost her mind....haha. Omg she's such a trooper girl the only thing we have now is her right back leg has gone weak and she's losing control when she stands still. I know it's my decision as to when I put her down to rest but can anyone suggest how I will know when it's time. My vet said when her legs go and she can't get up, but she'll be 17 yrs on oct 18 and I don't want her to suffer at all so Im thinking I will put her down before her legs get really weak. can someone please share their story with me if you had to go through this with your Lab furbaby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.