14 Year old

Thread: 14 Year old

MoonlightEm is offline Junior Member

Default14 Year old

Musta is still doing very well at 14. He ran 2 miles with me 4 times a week until about 6 months ago. Now his hips won't support that amount of exercise anymore. It's sad. So we take him on shorter walks. He wants to stil go, go, go but can't. "The heart is willing but the body isn't." He loves to go to the ocean and play in the waves. He digs for clams, which is a riot.
    He's been the best dog ever but know our time with him is starting to be limited. We are thinking of getting a puppy (yellow lab). Hope it won't be too much for him. Puppy would have my neighbor's new Potuguese Water Dog pup to play with. Musta has enjoyed my son's Golden Retriever pup, Jake and was very patient with him. Has anyone tried an older dog and pup together? I'm brand new to this forum - glad I found out that their are dog forums. I always go to the horse ones to discuss my horse and riding issues.
    Em

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I don't know about a puppy but there are a number of older dogs that shuffle around our park and my bouncing pups always show them respect.

14 is a grand old age ! It could be that a puppy will breathe a little bit more life into the old boy - who knows.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Years and years ago we had a 16yr old black lab and we introduced an 8 week old pup, he accepted him into the home and taught him a few lessons and manners it definately gave him a new zest for life and made his last few months with us happy, particularly as we would give him a little food everytime we fed the pup so he thought he was great if only for that reason alone!!

In more recent years my almost 13yr old has accepted 2 pups in the last 2 years and he loves them, they do show him respect and know he is highest in the pecking order and he sets them a good role model.

Let us know what you decide and hugs to your old boy

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

My chocolate - Nadja was older when I got my yellow - Mya. Mya respected Nadja also. Mya did make Nadja feel a bit more energetic and alive.
    I think it is a wonderful idea. Nadja had a LOT of positive influence on Mya.

Labfan is offline Junior Member

Great job getting your dog to 14 and still healthy!!