My 6 month old fully vaccinated lab has parvo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6 month old fully vaccinated lab has parvo

Ceceliacanfetch is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 6 month old fully vaccinated lab has parvo

I'm new to this site, so I hope I am posting this the correct way. My 6 month old black lab (born 1/21/07) tested positive on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 for parvo. She is currently hospitalized and receiving IV and treatment. She had her vaccinations at 6, 9, 12 and 16 wks. They were not even sure in the beginning if she had parvo because she was not acting like a typical parvo puppy. The whole time she has been alert and wagging tail, sniffing around and interested. None of which are typical with a parvo pup. Plus given her age and all her vaccinations were given at the appropriate intervals. But the parvo test did confirm that she is positive as well as did the CBC count. This is such a freak case. The vaccine company is now involved because her vaccines are guaranteed. The vet has a positive outlook for her. Yet her condition is about the same. Still vomitting, still bloody diarrhea, yet alert and interested. She is receiving the hydration. I think we were fast enough to get her help before she got dehydrated in the first place. Her bloody diarrhea stopped yesterday, but it is back today.

Please, can somebody tell me if they know of any labs that have ever been in this exact situation, where they were fully vaccinated and still got parvo? Does anybody know what her chances of survival are given that she is 6 mos old?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My 6 month old fully vaccinated lab has parvo

Your poor pup I hope she is feeling better soon. I'm sure given the fact that she has had all her vax, is bright and alert, is being hydrated and got to the vets quickly, that she has a good chance of recovery.

I think someone else has been in the same situation as yourself quite recently but I can't remember who it was just now..........their pup recovered.

Won't someone please feed me!

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I`m sorry I do not have any info for you, but I do hope your dog is feeling better soon!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattgusmum
    Your poor pup I hope she is feeling better soon. I'm sure given the fact that she has had all her vax, is bright and alert, is being hydrated and got to the vets quickly, that she has a good chance of recovery.

I think someone else has been in the same situation as yourself quite recently but I can't remember who it was just now..........their pup recovered.
    It was Bailey's owner...... isaac134... or something... I can't find it.... But if you see a post from him, PM him.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,51050.0.html

I think this is the post you were looking for

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,51050.0.html

I think this is the post you were looking for

That's it, thanks!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to try and get in touch with that member and see if I can find out some details. It looks like his pup recovered pretty fast, but was indeed fully vaccinated and about the same age as my girl.

An update on my girl Cecelia: She is about the same. Not worse, but not better. Still vomitting and still diarrhea. Still alert. Doc changed medicine to help stop vomitting and we are waiting to see if she responds better to that. She actually pulled her IV out twice the other day despite wearing an e-collar. I'm hoping that's a good sign that she's about to turn the corner since she is being rambunctious. Doc is still positive about her recovery. Apparently parvo is getting harder to treat due to hardy strains these days.

[attachment deleted by admin]

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

Hi there! Just making sure you got my email response to your questions.

I hope she gets better soon!

brody is offline Senior Member

fingers crossed for you and her here

we (a rescue I work with) just lost a little 8 mo collie lab mix to parvo - we don't know his vax history tho ... and he was really really ill from the minute he came down with it so ...

I have certainly dogs that are vaccinated get parvo but- like the chicken pox vax for kids - those that get it after vax seem better able to fight it off generally

you'll be in my thoughts

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Hi everybody. Cecelia stopped vomiting over the weekend. She was then able to keep her water down. And then she could keep her food down. We brought her home last night (Tues, Aug 7, 2007) around 6 pm. She's eaten a couple times since then. So far so good. They have her on ID prescription dog food. So she was in the hospital a total of 8 days (Tues through Tues). We are still not out of the woods. I hope to continue to see progress each day. Sometimes she whimpers a little bit. I imagine she still doesn't feel very good and her body is probably sore. She is on some Reglan and Metro orally for vomiting/diarrhea. She is interested in playing some and chewing her bone. But also still tired and you can see it in her eyes that she does not feel well, just like you can with your kids. Thank you for reading these posts and thinking of us. We appreciate it. This is a difficult illness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast