Tucker and his TPLO surgery

Thread: Tucker and his TPLO surgery

CharleneDooper is offline Junior Member

DefaultTucker and his TPLO surgery

My 8 year old lab just had TPLO surgery a week ago, and I was wondering if I can take him outside so he can lay on the grass? I will ensure he will be leashed and I will be sitting with him the whole time. I just feel so bad for him, as he is living in our entranceway and can't see us unless we go down to visit and apply ice to his leg. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Only if there are no steps . Otherwise it's fine.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If there are steps could someone carry him? I bet the change of scenery, fresh air and your undivided attention would do him wonders.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! Had him out and he enjoyed it tremendously! I just wish I didn't have a million things to do so I could lay out there with him all day!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

That was one of Java's favorite things to do after both of her TPLO surgeries.
    I'd lay a blanket in the grass and we'd just hang out on it, eating ice cream.
    It really help improve her mental state and relieve the boredom of being crated 24/7.

Just keep in mind....they CAN get a sunburn on the shaved area of their leg if they are in the sun too long!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CharleneDooper View Post
    Thank you! Had him out and he enjoyed it tremendously! I just wish I didn't have a million things to do so I could lay out there with him all day!
    It is awesome you were able to get him outside for some fresh air! Just remember, those million things you have to do will still be there 10 years from now, Tucker probably will not. Take the time to spend with him now, you don't ever want to have regrets. Feel better and heal well Tucker.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you to everyone for your guidance and suggestions! The surgery has only been a week, but some days it feels like a year already! So far so good, but I think his pain medication was masking the pain, so he thought he was better! Tucker goes for his 2 week checkup next week Wednesday...so fingers crossed his cone can at least come off!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK finished her 12 week rehab from TTA surgery on Aug 20th. The only thing I can tell you is to follow the ortho vets instructions to the letter, no exceptions. It has worked great for HK and the time does go by relatively quickly. She tried to convince me she was all healed many times, but I didn't give in. On lead, no running, no stairs, no jumping.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would do as the surgeon says as each dog is different and they know your dog. When Tess did her 7 months ago she wasn't allowed out of the crate while I was still needing to ice it. I read the instructions wrongly and at 2 weeks I thought I was to walk her around the house for 5 mins 3-4 times a day as well as potty breaks. She started limping and the leg started swelling again. I had stop and was so worried I did some damage. I hadn't and she was fine.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tucker seems to take FOREVER when he goes out to the bathroom! Before his surgery, all we had to tell him was 'hurry up' and he would go (we have an area beside the house that is considered his bathroom area). Now he wanders around, sniffing and sometimes just standing there (5 minutes usually goes by)...even though I know he has to pee! (I took him out at 10pm then took him out at 7am the nest morning). Also, when he poops, he lets out a little moan (not sure if it's pain or relief...) Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance!