Breathing Heavy and Fast

Thread: Breathing Heavy and Fast

mase6233 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBreathing Heavy and Fast

I have a 3-month old black lab named Dexter. The last two days he has been breathing heavily and fast while in his kennel. It is different than when he is dreaming. Aside from that he is very energetic and playful with our other two dogs. He just went to the vet and has had the last of his puppy vaccinations. His weight was good an everything checked out fine. Didn't know of any of you had experienced this before with your dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Is he stressed in his kennel? My Maxx will pant/breathe heavily if he is too warm, after a good play session, etc. He lays on the a/c floor vents in the summer and sleeps with s fan on every night. He has a very thick, heavy coat. As long as your pup is not showing any visible signs of distress and is eating and acting normally otherwise I would just keep an eye on him. If it continues and you feel uncomfortable about it call your vet. Better safe than sorry.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

mase6233 is offline Junior Member

Thanks, Tammy. He is still getting use to his kennel so it could be that he's stressed. I let him out and he went straight for his water and drank quite a bit. I'm probably not giving him enough water. We have two little girls who like to play in the dog's water so we have to close the door where the water is. If he keeps breathing like that I will definitely take him to the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did he get the vax today and then these symptoms happened?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Yes, ditto above. Do you mean he got his puppy vaccinations AND his rabies all at the same time, and just before the heavy breathing started? Then I think I'd just put a call into my VEt if it was my pup.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

When you say "kennel" which are you referring to? A crate which is the wire crate or a vari kennel which is the plastic? The crate has more air flow in it and it's possible your puppy is getting warm in a vari kennel. I completely agree with the booster/rabies being given together could be indicative of a reaction you are starting to notice and I also agree it could be stress. The bottom line is there are numerous reasons this could be happening and I would be looking into all of them. I understand you have 2 little girls that like to play in the water but I think the water is going to need to be kept out for the puppy and the kids taught not to go into it. Training 3.. fun lol :-)

Danika & Eva

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I apologize for not even thinking about a possible reaction to the shots, I did not read it to mean this had started at the same time. The above posters are much more experienced, and obviously comprehended your post much better than I did.
    Puppies should never have water restricted during the day, picking it up an hour or so before bed is one thing but always make sure the puppy has fresh, clean water at all other times
    Your children need to be taught to stay out of the water bowl, lol!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.