Just Labradors banner

E-Collar help

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Samson 
#1 ·
So Ella had her CCL surgery on Wednesday and it went well according to the surgeon. The first night she was out of it and on Thursday she was pretty subdued also (she is an 8 month old lab...). So Friday night my DH and I went out for a few hours to his units x-mas party. We get home, let her out and go to bed. An hour or so later I woke up because I heard her doing something downstairs (she is crated at night). We go down and she has completely chewed off her E-Collar and has chewed half her stitches out!!!!!! So we get her in the car at 2:30 am and head to the emergency vet where they put staples in her leg.

She has never been good with E-Collars. She has chewed two before this one. The other times I could take it off within a week because she wasn't going to get at the injuries (one was a spay and one was a couple stitches in her ear). This time, not only will she get at it, but we can't afford another $300 if she chews her staples out. BUT she chews her collar ALL THE TIME and last night she chewed it, swallowed the plastic and threw it up three different times. We have tried cayenne pepper and that sour stuff and neither worked. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA (and thanks if you made it this far).

#3 ·
This might sound stupid but instead of the traditional collar, why not make your own? I made this one for my GSD a while back when she had a bad eczema patch on her back & wouldn't stop biting. It used to be a waste paper basket in a previous life. I cut the bottom out & drilled holes around the bottom of the rim. I then got some plastic cable ties & fastened it to her collar. Good thing about this model is it's air conditioned. :biggrin1:

It MIGHT work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.