Help! 1 week post-op TPLO. Wont walk on leg!

Thread: Help! 1 week post-op TPLO. Wont walk on leg!

khisington is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! 1 week post-op TPLO. Wont walk on leg!

Hello! My dog Cooper had TPLO surgery 1 week ago today. The first day after surgery he was putting weight on it and has every day since. No toe touching, just walking. I thought I had a wonder dog! But today he wont put his leg down at all! Is this normal??? Even after he has been walking on it fine??? I need advice!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's sore from walking on it. Is there any swelling? Does he have a fever?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, it's normal. Remember, when they do TPLO they are cutting the weight bearing? ng bone in the leg, so essentially your dog has a broken leg.
    Did you recently cut back on Cooper's pain meds or anti-inflammatory? Generally surgeons recommend starting to cut back on the pain meds right about now and the anti-inflammatory use stops.....so the dog starts feeling more of the pain.
    If you did cut back on the pain meds/anti-inflammatory you can start it again for a few more days until Cooper feels more comfortable.
    After Java's second TPLO, when I cut back on the pain meds she stopped using her leg, so I started the pain meds and Rimadyl back up again for a few more days.

Also, Java didn't really stop favoring TPLO knee #2 until 5 months post op...so you will notice that there will be good days where Cooper uses his leg all the time and other days where he will favor it more.

Not sure where you live, but cold/raw/rainy weather can also affect how well they use their leg.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

khisington is offline Junior Member

Wow! Thanks guys!! I was sooo worried, cause he walked like a champ on it for the first week post op. Now he just holds it up. He doesnt have a fever and there is no swelling. The only thing I have noticed is that his knee is a little warmer than the rest of his leg. I did a little Google hunting and read some awful horror stories about TPLO complications and staph infections!!! But the incision looks great, so I dont know. I hope its nothing serious.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by khisington View Post
    Wow! Thanks guys!! I was sooo worried, cause he walked like a champ on it for the first week post op. Now he just holds it up. He doesnt have a fever and there is no swelling. The only thing I have noticed is that his knee is a little warmer than the rest of his leg. I did a little Google hunting and read some awful horror stories about TPLO complications and staph infections!!! But the incision looks great, so I dont know. I hope its nothing serious.
    Is he laying on the leg? That could casue the warmness. Also, the incision is on the inside of the leg, so they hold it closer to their body when sitting or laying down, so that can cause it to feel warmer.
    Chances are if you felt the inside of his other leg it would feel warm also.
    Did you recently cut back on the pain meds or anti-inflammatory?
    Try not to think of the horror stories....LOL
    As long as the incision looks good and there is no redness at the site or around it it sounds fine.
    Infections usually present fairly clearly with heat (hot), oozing at the incision site, redness and swelling.
    Keep your eye out for those signs.

Otherwise, just give Cooper time. He'll start using the leg when he feels comfortable.
    If you have recently stopped the pain meds or anti-inflammatory it wouldn't hurt to give him a dose when you notice he seems most uncomfortable.

superwy is offline Member

Wyatt was very careful after his surgery for a long time. We were careful even longer! Only leash walks for bathroom, lots of crate/down time. It has been just about a year and I saw him favoring his leg the other day and panicked - then I realized it was the other leg and panicked a bit more. It went away, but our doc has us keep some Dermaxx on hand in case he seems like it hurts for a couple of days, just to cut down on any inflamation. I may start him on glucosomine soon, too. My husband takes it for his knee and is convinced it works, so why not. I am sure he will be fine. It is hard to know if they hurt -- they just don't complain much and he may be in more pain than you realize. I'd go ahead and give him the pain meds for a bit longer if he is uncomfortable.
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo