swalloed a rock in surgery now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swalloed a rock in surgery now

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultswalloed a rock in surgery now

Vet just called and it doesn't look good. He found some other things besides the rock and there will have to be multiple incisions and the risk for infection and being able to withstand the surgery is becoming doubtful. He wants to get some more information but the damage sounds pretty severe and the chances of recovery are not looking so good. He will call me again in about 20 minutes

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

just came back from the vet, there were complications and they give her a 50/50 chance to recover. I can only wait and see.

Benelli's Buddy

banoel is offline Senior Member

Scutter - I am so sorry you have to go through this with Zoey. I don't know what I would do if that were my dog. I know how frustrated I get at the items my dog(s) eat. I can't imagine how I would handle a dog with Zoey's appetite. Wishing you the best in this difficult situation.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

So sorry. Keep us posted. Praying for you

MurphySullyHogan

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Healing thoughts for a successful surgery and rapid recovery. Yes, please keep posted as to the outcome.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Sending lots of prayers your way. One of Huckle's surgeries was complicated.....he perforated his bowel in two places and they had to remove a large part of his bowel. He developed peritonitis and was in intensive care for almost a week.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I really feel for you. Please keep us posted.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts. My Ranger had abdominal surgery for obstructions too.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

thanks for the encouragement. For those who had complications, were there any long term effects? Did you have to change diets? Is there a problem with loose stools etc??

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Huckle had no complications from his surgery.

I really think it would be worthwhile to try switching Zoey over to a different food. Not because of this surgery but but because I think some dogs must be missing something in their diet. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try...maybe a grainfree food? I found out Huckle was allergic to eggs when he was 10 years old....when I switched him over to an egg free food he seemed like a completely different dog. I still wonder whether that had anything to do with his PICA habit. Perhaps even try some sort of supplement. Others on the board might have suggestions. I use Prozyme with my new guy(siggy pic)....just because. Not sure if it helps but figure it can't hurt. Fortunately this time around I got a Lab that has the most sensitive stomach ever...he would not dare eat anything he wasn't supposed to. If he finds something he just brings it to me(he brought me that money he found on the ground)

Another suggestion might be to give her meals in a frozen Kong...maybe mix it up a bit. Others on the board used Kongs a lot so they might have suggestions for what kinds of stuff to mix in with the dog food to keep it stuck in there a bit(like peanut butter or cottage cheese). That way she really needs to "work" at eating....maybe a mental challenge like that might help curb her desire to look for other non-edibles.

I hope you get good news from the vet today. Keeping you both in my thoughts.

Edited to say that Huckle lived to the ripe old age of 14 1/2 and was worth every single penny I spent on him!!
    Last edited by hark67; 05-26-2010 at 08:01 AM.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

More prayers for Zoey....

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast