Just Labradors banner

Abby; Friend to a Labrador

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MidwestGirl 
G
#1 ·
Abby died tonight, 12/15/2008, at 12:45am. She died in my arms by lethal injection. Her respirations had become so labored, even with oxygen via nasotracheal tube, that all of her energy was being expended on one thing; breathing. I called xxxx and told him that I thought he should think about "it" soon. So, he talked to the vet and gave the okay, and I held her in my arms as the vet pushed the medication into her IV. I tried to tell her "good girl", but my voice was quaking with the tears, and it came out in just a choked whisper. I don't know if she even heard me over her labored breathing. My tears fell on her as her breathing and heartbeat came to a stop. The snow was falling, and the world was quiet and peaceful as I drove home.

Every time you lose a dog, you think of all the times you let them down. All the times you ever yelled or used harsh words, all the times you should have walked them or played with them, all the times you were less than the best dog owner ever, and this is no exception for me. I learned so much from little Abby, and despite all of my mistakes with her, she never failed to show me unconditional love, loyalty, and complete trust.

Abby was adopted from the pound in January of 1997 (her age was estimated to be 10-12 months, and she had already borne a litter of puppies), following the death of my beloved Shade, which had been so painful that I swore I would never get another dog. Yet something seemed missing, so we went to the pound, and there we found this little black and white dog that leapt into xxxx's arms and right into his heart.

Abby didn't care much for other dogs (to say the least), though she did tolerate Lucky, and she absolutely adored people. She practically lived for human contact. She was deathly afraid of fireworks and thunder. She played well with kitties, especially little Blackberry, with whom she would "box" and wrestle. Abby was a very bouncy, energetic dog, and even climbed a 10,000 foot mountain peak.

Run free, Sweet Abby, 1996-2008.

See less See more
#5 ·
Ohhh, a lovely tribute to a lovely devoted dog. Thank you for rescuing her and for sharing your heartfelt thoughts and picture of Abby with us.

So many of us can empathize with your experience of making that final decision and then having to follow through; I'm so sorry for your loss of dear Abby. :'(

My sincere condolences to you and xxxx.

Godspeed Abby.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears
You would not want me to suffer so
When the time comes please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only, stay with me to the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will see
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
We've been so close we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

So I am glad, not that she's gone
But that this earth she roamed and lived upon
Was my earth, too, that I had closely known
And loved her and that my love I'd shown.

Tears over her departure?
Nay - a smile
That I had walked with her a little while.

Author Julia Napier, copyright 1999

#7 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have been in your shoes and I know how you are hurting. You gave her a great home and a lot of love, she remembers that more than anything else possible in her life. God bless you for giving her that place in your heart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.