My dear friend Buddy......

Thread: My dear friend Buddy......

Brie is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy dear friend Buddy......

Hello i am new here and just wanted to share buddy's story with you all..

Well we got buddy at 13 weeks and he was just a bundle of joy. Buddy was a very smart and healthy dog, Well as far as we knew he was healthy. As of march 2008 buddy started limping but not bad and not all the time. Well after a few days of this we made an appointment for him at the vets and we went to see what was going on. The vet could not find anything wrong with him and said he may have just sprang his leg or something and told us to go get some K-9 aspirins. So we did and in a few days it appeared to be helping him. But then he started limping worse. And his left shoulder was starting to swell. So off to vet we go once again. I just had that gut filling something was real bad here. Well the vet did all the needed X-rays and the prognoses was Ostesarcoma ( Bone Cancer ) and it had all ready spred to his lungs, he had two tumors in his lungs as well as the one on his left shoulder. The vet said that he has about 2 months of life left. There was no need to do an amputation or chemo because of the tumors in his lungs. So all they could really do is write him some scrips for pain meds. Well after a few days on the pain meds Buddy like his old self and appeared to be in no pain. On his second month on the meds buddy's tumor on his shoulder was starting to get real big and he appeared to be in pain at times. So the vet increased the pain meds. But Buddy was ready to go. On the morning of 6/4/08 i let the dogs out as always and buddy just limped to the center of the yard and layed down, After about 15 minutes he got up and did his thing. It was starting to get a bit warm out so i let them in and about 20 minutes later buddy started labored breathing and just layed on the floor in his favorite spot. Well something just told me this must be that warning sign telling me he is ready to go. As i laid by him talking to him he was kinda like in a trance of sort and just stared he had no eye movement at all and there were very dilated. So i then called the vet and made an appointment to have him put to sleep the following day. About 10 minutes later buddy took his final breath and exhaled as if saying Ahhh. He never made a sound and was in no pain. Needles to say were are still heart broken of this, Buddy was our second dog and our first pure breed Labrador. Buddy was only two years old and had just began to start his life. We still can't comprehend how such a young dog could have such a serious disease. As many may Know, It's a genetic thing. We have since cotacted the breeder where we got him and she said that at the time she had not known the sire/dam genetics and the dam had also passed from ovarian cancer. Needles to say we had some not so good words for her.

I built buddy a special memorial garden box in our back yard and he is now at rest beneath it. We miss so much it cannot be put into words. Here is a link to buddy memorial site, Although they are currently updating it so it's off line at the moment, But it should be up soon. Wont you please visit it and light a candle for our dear friend.
    Thank You... http://www.buddyone.pets-memories.com/index.php

Here are a few shots of buddy.

Thank You

Stoney

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dear friend Buddy......

I'm so very sorry you lost your beloved Buddy at such a young age to such a deadly cancer as osteosarcoma. :'( How very heartbreaking.

Unfortunately you are not alone in experiencing this tragedy in a dog so young; here is a story very similar to yours: http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/s...-t7306971.html

As soon as Buddy's memorial site is up I will definitely visit and light a candle for him.

Godspeed Buddy....
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Brie is offline Junior Member

Thank You... Well buddy's site is now up, But the candle section is not showing all his lit candles. I would think you could still light one for him though. Also the URL has changed to. http://buddyone.pets-memories.com/

Thanks for that link i will check it out soon..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Tundra Aries Guest

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Your memorial is beautiful. thank you

sarah is offline Senior Member

a beautiful memorial for buddy. Godspeed little guy..
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia