In memory of Socrates, 1995-July 18, 2009

Thread: In memory of Socrates, 1995-July 18, 2009

Socs_buddy is offline Junior Member

DefaultIn memory of Socrates, 1995-July 18, 2009

My yellow lab Socrates was a brave and noble dog, and my best friend for 13 years. During his last year and a half he was unable to move his hind legs because of arthritis and myelopathy, and for the last year had decreasing use of his front legs as well. But he always loved to eat, to have his chest rubbed, and to go for rides on his cart or in the car.

I finally had him put to rest at the age of 14 after it was discovered that he had blood pooling in his abdomen from a spleen or liver tumor.
    Last edited by Socs_buddy; 07-20-2009 at 05:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

So sorry for your loss. Take care.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

So sorry for your loss...I'm in the same boat right now with my yellow lab...He's starting to "walk like a drunken sailor" on his back legs...we rate his days and are trying to decide when enough is enough...but like yours, he still has a love of the car rides, food, and playing bitey face only with mumma...They keep saying "you'll know", but I dont know...... You are a brave person and I'm sure he's thanking you for easing his pain...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Socs_buddy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHind legs

When Socrates' hind legs began to go he was also walking like a drunken sailor--stumbling, crossing his legs and tripping himself, walking on his knuckles. I started to put him down the first time he couldn't get up and pooped in his bed, but instead I tried giving him prednisone, 20 mg per day. It was like a miracle at first, although he began to decline again after awhile. Still, it gave him an extra 4 or 5 months of mobility.

(Of course with Prednisone you have to cut back to every other day after a week or two or it causes the adrenal glands to atrophy. It also can be hard on the pancreas.)
    Last edited by Socs_buddy; 07-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Socs_buddy View Post
    When Socrates' hind legs began to go he was also walking like a drunken sailor--stumbling, crossing his legs and tripping himself, walking on his knuckles. I started to put him down the first time he couldn't get up and pooped in his bed, but instead I tried giving him prednisone, 20 mg per day. It was like a miracle at first, although he began to decline again after awhile. Still, it gave him an extra 4 or 5 months of mobility.

(Of course with Prednisone you have to cut back to every other day after a week or two or it causes the adrenal glands to atrophy. It also can be hard on the pancreas.)
    We upped his meds to their max and noticed the first week he was better, not as much now...he gets 2 Rimadyl per day and 9 Tramadol....My vet didnt say anything about prednisone...I'll have to ask...(I'm still hanging on for some kind of hope , I just hope I'm not being too selfish.)

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. ((hugs))

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultSorry

I am so very sorry for the loss of your pup. I also lost my best friend of almost 14 years back in January. It is so hard to let them go and say goodbye, but they will live in our hearts forever. I truly believe they watch and love us from above...happy and healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images