Lost Kiska to cancer two weeks ago--March 1997 to October 2007

Thread: Lost Kiska to cancer two weeks ago--March 1997 to October 2007

DefaultLost Kiska to cancer two weeks ago--March 1997 to October 2007

My old dear friend past 2 weeks ago due to a mast cell tumor on her hind leg. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. She was my joy and sunshine for 8 years. I got her from a shelter (she was a 1.5 years old at the time) and she was my best friend. I know she is in heaven well and healthy and playing. I miss her terribly and can not wait til we are reunited again. My youngest dog (Attu) misses her also.

2 years ago Kiska developed a tumor on her hind leg the size of an egg. I had it removed. 6 months later it showed back up again that started out the size of an egg but grew to a size of a tennis ball and bloody. I had it removed again and this time checked. My vet said it was a mast cell tumor but thought is was non cancerous. Then the tumor grew back again in the identical spot. It stayed small for a couple of months. Then on the 12th of October it exploded in growth. Growing to a size of a grapefruit in 72 hours and this time extremely bloodly. On the 16th of October I made the painful decision to put her down. I just could not let her go through surgery and the return of the tumor over and over again. The vet said he could have removed the tumor but would have to had taken her entire back leg. At the time she had 2 over smaller tumors (fatty cell we think) on her side and one on her other back leg.

These past couple of weeks have been hard. I keep wondering and thinking if only I had the tumor removed when I first noticed it, maybe I should have let the vet take her leg,... When ever I think of her tears come to my eyes and a lump in forms in my throat. I know the pain will ease with time.

Dawna
    Moma to Attu a 5 year old chocolate lab. Kiska--At the rainbow bridge--Born March 1996 Died October 2007. Moma to Dreidel 10 month old Golden retriever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lost Kiska to cancer two weeks ago--March 1997 to October 2007

Im so sorry. I know the pain you are feeling we too had that terrible decision to make in April. It does ease but I dont think I can ever forget that feeling. Just give your other baby lots of love she will help you heal.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Sorry for your loss

Not gone, just gone on ahead...

Godspeed Kiska
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for you loss. Please don't doubt your decision. Kiska knew she was loved. I think we all second guess ourselves. You made a very painful decision out of your love for her.
    Please take care. She will always be in your heart.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. We had the same decision, sort of, almost 2 years ago. Callie had a MCT on her chest, removed it. 6 months later, it had spread to internal organs and we had to make the decision to let her go.

Hugs to you, time makes it a little easier, but Kiska will always hold a place in your heart.

LindaC is offline Junior Member

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that your wonderful memories of precious times with your girl, comfort you in the days ahead.