My Maggie

Thread: My Maggie

LSD28IF is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Maggie

I am very new to this board. In fact, until 1999 I was new to Black Labs. My dog Hiedi a dachshund I had since I was 10 died. I had to have her put to sleep. Her heart was enlarging nothing could be done. I took her alone to the vet. Cried all the way home and my father and I buried her together. I told myself no more. The pain was just too much. I am not a normal person. I give myself completely to a dog. Hiedi was part of me. Nothing came before her. I could not go through that again. (never once thinking that good times made up for any pain) Fast forward to 1999. My daughter comes home and tells me that her grandmother just got an 8 week old black lab/German shep female mix. Do I want to go see her? No I said. I knew what would happen. My daughter brings this beautiful smashed in nose puppy breath baby to me. When she put her little head on my chest that was it. I was in sin love again and willing to go through it all over again. Maggie was a great dog. SO smart and beautiful. My baby. My husband and I loved her so much. Chilled filtered water, ice chips, nothing was out of the question for her. Good homemade dog treats. Car rides. My God I loved her.May of this year she died. Her ACL was damaged. Nothing could be done. She made it for 5 months. We carried her outside to go to the bathroom. On Memorial Day she could not even stand up anymore. My husband and I put her in the car an and took her to the Vet. My husband took it harder than I did. I was too busy being mad at the Vet. I had to run back home to get a credit card to pay for the procedure. (new Vet. really doesn't get how humans bond with animals) When I got back my husband was in worse shape than before I left. This Dr. had explained what was going to happen to Maggie. He never needed to know that. The Vet. told me on my arrival back that Maggie was still beathing. Now, I used to work at this office. I know the other doctors there. Very kind caring people. I have yet to cry really hard for her. I miss her everyday. She was one of the greatest dogs I have ever known.

4 days later I decided to tape cuddly companions. A local show that spotlights animals in the local shelter. I have never watched this show or taped it. For some reason I did. They had a beautiful male black lab. 9 months old. I have never owned a male dog in my life. He spoke to me. SO handsome. The next day I went out to see this dog. We hit it right off. 2 days after his surgery(at the shelter here you can't take them home until after they have been fixed) I brought Cash Bailey home. He was just what we needed. I never realized how much life Maggie had brought into this home. It was so quite without her. Cash will never replace Maggie. Nothing ever could. He has helped so much. I know it may sound stupid, but I truly believe that animals find you not the other way around. Maggie found us an and now Cash has. However, I like to think that Maggie was somewhere constructing the meeting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tsina is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Maggie

R.I.P Heidi And Maggie...And sorry for ur loss

kassabella is offline Senior Member

What a beautiful story.

I am sorry for your loss.

The first lab will always be the love of our lives.
    I lost my first lab 2 years ago and can understand the heart break. I adopted her litter mate and even though he looks a little like her is isn't.

I think fate plays a big part in this and I am sure she is behind some of the tricks he gets up to.

Run free sweet Maggie.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

May the run free in the sky !!