Replace Sister ??

Thread: Replace Sister ??

Labra-mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultReplace Sister ??

We lost our beloved Ruby (female-black) three weeks ago, she is survived by her brother (littermate) Buck. They are eight years old. They had an extremely special relationship, although she was more dominate at times, they were always the best of buds. We got both of them just after they were weaned. We don't think a puppy would be appropriate, but wonder if Buck would like a companion...??? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CrockettsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Replace Sister ??

I am not sure, but there will be lots of ppl that can help you here...I just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss...
    <br />Rebecca Crockett&#39;s Mom<br />www.myspace.com/crockettl8e

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

There are plenty of Labs in need of rescue looking for a nice couch. When you are ready, contacta Lab rescue for advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think that this is an area that really only you can know the answer to...

Does he seem to pine a lot? Do you think that you could handle a new addition in this difficult time?

I'm very sorry for your loss, and don't force yourself to rush into anything just yet, these things need time more than anything.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

When our lab/golden passed away about 10 years ago, our Basset Hound went into terrible mourning. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't play with us, just laid up on the back porch all day. (I realize that's what Bassets do most of the time, but this was different.) She totally lost her zest for life. (or as much zest as Bassets can have!). It was really sad.

So we got another dog, and it was like a miracle transformation! Immediately she was back to her old self.

I think only you know the answer. You know your dog better than anyone. It's a tough thing to go through.

Felix Guest

Well, at first i'am sorry for you're loss :'(

Our second Labrador, Yoskha has passed away on the 31th of july in 2006, 18 day's later Laika was springing around over here! :

What you never should do, is to compare the other dog with an other one's .. or try to replace, they are all like human's .. so they have and are little personality's, if you get what i mean

And if you think, you're ready, and the rest of you're family is also ready (including the current Labrador )

Then i should say, go looking for a mate ;D

But keep in mind, a rescue dog probaly come's with a bit of luggage, if that's not a problem, then start looking and take a look for a good match, i know, that you probaly make one dog very happy! (the rescue dog) 8)

But you never lose the grieving of the Labrador that has passed away :-\

Labra-mom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your responses!!

Buck is doing well, I got him a new ball last weekend and he took it out back and starting digging (a definite labra-dog necessity ,as he hasn't dug since Ruby's passing) gosh! how we miss her every day! :'( At this time we feel that Buck will be okay without "the Sister". And agree that yes, rescue labra-dogs can come with a lot of baggage...we have even looked into local dogs advertised and feel that they too would have baggage and attitudes that Buck may not need to be subjected to. As Felix said; their personalities are quite unique. We have decided that Buck will enjoy being Number 1 (the only one), until he is called to join Sister...!
    At that time we will be looking to get 4 (not 2 littermates) to replace...let's see that would be 16 labra-feet running about the homestead...sounds like heaven to us!! Until then, we will definitely be enjoying every blessed moment we have with Buck...long live the labra-dog!! :-*