R.I.P. Sagebrush (2002-2009)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Sagebrush (2002-2009)

Inna91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultR.I.P. Sagebrush (2002-2009)

Sagebrush, my Yellow Lab, passed away a few days ago. I just found her laying in her bed one morning. She didn't move when I called her name and when I went to get her I felt she was cold. It was absolutely devestating! I had no idea how she passed away, so I had an autopsy done on her. They said that when they examined her body she was in the condition they would expect a 12 year of Lab to be in! Still, they couldn't find anything apperently wrong with her. She looked to be fine. But, when they looked further she had water, dog food, and pieces of bone in her abdomen. They said she had a 7" tear in her GI tract! That was the only thing wrong with her stomach. But, they also found that she had arthritis in one knee. She also had only about half the amount of teeth she should have had.

When the biopsies came back they found evidence of ulcers in her stomach, and her stomach was also inflammed. Her instines had also started bleeding and parts had already died before she passed away! Her spleen had been bleeding and there were blood clots found in it. She also had some small cysts on her ovaries, which they said was normal with an older dog, but not a dog at her age. She just had a heat a month before she passed away. Her cause of death was from ulcers and bleeding in her stomach and intestines, and bleeding and blood clots in her spleen.

I was told this likely happened because her teeth were so bad that she couldn't chew her food properly and swallowed much of it whole and it impacted her intestines. Then, her instines slowly died and ruptured. It caused toxic shock and killed her immediately because of the foodstuff leaking into her abdominal cavity.

I feel so bad that she had all this going on and I did nothing about it! About three weeks before she passed away I noticed that she was loosing weight rapidly. They vets gave her some medicine and she started eating again and gaining weight back. She was normal in no time. She appeared to be fine the night before she passed. I don't know if this is my fault or the vet's fault or nobody's fault. I feel terrible! When she started loosing weight I switched her to Yarrah Organic Dog Food for Puppies and Small Breeds because it has more fat in it, which I fed her when she was a puppy. But, I fed her Nutro Max Large Breed Adult for most of her life. Could it of had something to do with the food I fed her? I know her teeth were always bad, but I brushed them sometimes, but I couldn't afford a dental for her for a long time. When I finally could afford it they had to take a lot of her teeth out. She's always had really bad teeth. I wish I had an explination for my dog's loss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Her autopsy report is kind of hard to read, so the vet told me what it meant. Here is what her report says:

Lymph nodes are accutely diffusely congested. The cecum is diffusely ulcerated. The spleen is acutely diffusely ulcerated. There are multifocal hemorrhages in the large instestines. The lungs are diffusely congested. There are multifocal cysts on the ovaries. The mucosa is missing on the urinary bladder. The trachea is endematous. There is mucosal autolysis in the small intestines. The skeletal muscle has some agular fibers with variation in fiber diameter. The liver contains a brown bile. No lesions observed on the salivary gland. COD: Ulcerative and hemorrhagic typhlitis, cecum presumed; moderate diffuse fibrohemorrhagic capsulitis, spleen.

When Sagebrush passed she was currently on Deramaxx, Dexamethasone and Depro-Medrol for inflammation, Baytril for a UTI, Baytril Otic for an ear infection, Benazepril for high blood pressure, Buspirone for anxiety, and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Solution for eye inflammation. When I gave Sagebrush her medication every day I had to take her into the bathroom and close the door, because she was try to run. She did not like the ear drops, eye drops, or injection. Her last veterinary appointment they said she looked alright, but was in poor health, and I had to fast her 48 hours before her lab. She was a large Lab, and was about 90 lbs, but they said she looked much thinner like she was only 80 lbs, and the vets would rather see her at 95, so she was underweight by a little. She was very calm at the vet, although apprehensive, when she was usually jumpy. Another weird thing I noticed is she usually hung around with the other dogs, but she had recently started alienating herself from the pack. In order to draw blood from her they had to give her a sedative because she seemed really freaked out. That was when they found she had severe inflammation in her knee joints caused by luxating patella and high blood pressure. Ear/eye infections are something I dealt with her throughout her whole life, and were nothing new. She had allergies. But, her anxiety and UTI were also new.
    Last edited by Inna91; 05-26-2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Add

I was told that Sagebrush came from a breeder in Alabama, and was bought by a man in Oklahoma. He could no longer care for her so he listed her for adoption on an internet classified for $395. I drove three hours up to Oklahoma from Texas to get her.

When she was at her leanest weight back in April (about 85-90 lbs), I tried working with her trimming her back feet. She always hated that! lol It actually went pretty good. The next time I tried to trim her back feet she wasn't cooperative, and tried pulling her feet away from me. But, later that day, Sagebrush actually attacked Cactus Kate, my other Yellow Lab, and bit me! That was very unusual for her and the first time she had ever done that. The next day she did the same thing. She bit Kate on the lip and neck, and nipped by hand when I tried to take her outside to go to the bathroom. She refused to go outside that day too. That was when I took her to the vet and they gave me several different medication for several different conditions (see above). I thought that would help, but she was very nervous and uncooperative the next several days. I think it was because we were babysitting two Yorkies for our neighbors while they were on vacation though. She wouldn't do anything I told her, and had green mucous in the corner of her eye, so I went and picked up some eye drops for her. Eye infections were always common with her during spring. I remember, the day after that, after the Yorkies went home that morning, she was really unresponsive. I usually work with all my dogs on behavioral commands every day, and Sagebrush had always been such a wonderful and obedient dog. But, that day she refused to do anything I told her. It was really odd, and I noticed that they eye that had mucous in it the day before was red. I called the vet and they put her on a different type of eye drops. A few days later I worked on her with her foot trimming and behavioral commands (sit, stay, down, etc.) and she was doing wonerfully. Then, about a week before she passed I noticed the green mucous in her eye again. The vet put her back on the eye drops. She had no problem doing what I told her during our training session though. Her whole temperament changed when I tried filing her front nails. She got very aggressive and growled at me, and got into a fight with Cactus Kate. Kate didn't put up with it that time, and she bit her in her flank and caused two wounds. They weren't really bad, so I put some bag balm on them. Four days before that fateful day, I tried trimming her front nails again and she had no problem with it. She had no problem letting me hold her foot and trim her nails with the grinder, but she couldn't really stand on three legs for very long, which seemed kind of strange. The next day I noticed that she had broken off one of her nails, probably out playing in the yard or something. I put some antibiotic cream on it and just wrapped it. That day, and the next, she would not drink water, which was scary. She wouldn't eat her dog food either for that day. She hardly produced any amount of fecal matter that day, and I was worried. She was moody, so I only have her some of the Yarrah puppy food, and bought some Breeder's Choice AvoDerm and mixed that in with her regular food, and that seemed to help, but she didn't eat until late that night. She ate all the Avoderm and spit out the Yarrah. It was funny. lol She eventually drank from the water bucket outside before going to bed that night. I had collected urine from her because of her UTI and the vet wanted to see if it was better. Around 11pm she seemed back to her old self. The next day, her last day on this earth, I noticed that she had a hole in her paw pad. I had no idea how she got it, but I flushed it with saline solution, but couldn't get it all flushed out because it was really sore. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it. I flushed it out again, put more antibiotic ointment on it, and wrapped the wound again before we went to bed that night. I planned on doing the same thing in the morning, but she never woke up. I'm still absolutely heartbroken about it. She was like my baby. I loved Sagebrush so much. I think the other dogs miss her too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

So heartbreaking. I can only imagine what you are going through. (((HUGS)))

Run free Sagebrush, run free precious girl....
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Oh please don't beat yourself up over this too bad! I was in a similar boat a few months ago. Isn't this strange...my dog's name was Sage (Sagemuffin). He also had a blockage and just didn't show the normal symptoms of a blockage so...even though we tried to fix things surgery he was already too toxic and simply gave up. Sometimes we simply can't know...all living things are so complex.
    Wishing you peace

azooinaz is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself. You gave her a good life.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so very sorry.

mosmama is offline Senior Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. I just lost my Mo last month on May 20th and it is still so fresh. It's so painful. I love him and miss him so much.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

sarah is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast