Lost a beloved family member today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost a beloved family member today

skordog is offline Junior Member

DefaultLost a beloved family member today

Today we were forced to make a difficult decision regarding our 11 year old chocolate Lab- Skor (yes, named after the candybar). Skor would have truned 12 on Saturday, but we couldn't let him live this way just so we could celebrate his birthday. I am to, to say the least, DEVESTATED. Skor had not been himself for months- growling at our 2 yr old black lab, not eating well, difficulty getting up- but this would clear up after a day or two. Well 5 days of not eating and basically needing to be lifted made the decision to see the vet easier. But ultimately the final decision was a nightmare. Why do we have to make these decisions? Why do we Love these animals so much?

Well, 1 look into Skor's eyes would answere that question for you. His unconditional Love for me, my wife and my daughters, his constant comapnionship. THIS SUCKS, but wouldn't trade a moment of it. I will never forget our last few minutes at the vet, he kept looking at me and I could see he was ready. How could I possibly know that?- I felt it. He looked right into my eyes until the last moment- and I cried but tried to be strong for him. He didin't want to leave us- it took 2 shots of sedative to make him sleepy, he fought through the first. But in the end it was peacful and painless, and he is in a better place. WE MISS HIM, but he is no longer in pain.

Don't let anyone tell you these dogs can't feel or deduce our emotions. Our 2 yr old lab wouldn't let me out of the house after I loaded Skor in the car. He had his chance for goodbyes, and loved all over Skor in the garage, but he knew he wasn't going to see him again. When I returned home, he sat with tail tucked until i sat and then he came over, burried his head in my lap and let out a gut wrenching sigh. I broke down again and just sat with him and let him cry.

To all those out there that have had a similar decision to make I respect you. For those who will have to make it in the future, PLEASE consider your pet and make the decision for him/her and not what would make you feel better. I hurt, but I know I did the right thing for Skor.

Skor: we Miss you
    we Love you
    Happy Birthday on Saturday April 4
    The Bartole Family

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm am so sorry for you (((hugs))) Run free sweet Skor!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It is so hard. I am so sorry that you have this sorry.

Run free, Skor. Run free.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

Some time's life as a 'dog owner' sucks !! .. And these are the worst and most diffcult moments in a dogs life. And it is still a descicion 'people' have to make for the dogs (and other pets) we all love so much!

And yes, dogs can feel youre mood or state youre in at the moment, specialy moments like this ...

It is still a hart braking moment evryone will face at a certain moment, if i read youre story (or any other story familair) it always bring the moments back to me, when i (and my family) were facing this dificult discision in life ...

So, life sucks from time to time ..

But ... Skor is now returned in to good health, and he's running like you knew him as a little pup

So .. RUN Skork .. RUN free in the sky!

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful boy.

I too made the very same decision for my 11 year old chocolate boy this time last year, April 24th to be exact, like you, I knew that the time had come, and like you it near on broke my heart in two.

I know it sounds like an old cliche but time really does heal and soon you will begin remembering the happy times with Skor without it hurting so much.

Love to you and your family, and RIP old fella to Skor~ he had a good and happy life with you all.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

joflake is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for you loss. It is so hard on us humans, isn't it?

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. Hugs for you and your family.

Run free Skor

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Run Free Skor. I am so sorry for your family's loss

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Run free sweet Skor, run free!!

I am so sorry for your loss.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. You were a faithful friend to the end.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast