Sam (Sammy pie)

Thread: Sam (Sammy pie)

DefaultSam (Sammy pie)

Although we lost our good friend Sam back in 1995, I felt that I needed to share with you the joys he brought to our lives.

Sam was a golden Labrador cross, on somedays he resembled a lurcher, others a labrador...I supposed it depended on the way he styled his fur during his daily self wash :

He was an absolute star and never left my mums side from the day he was brought home in September 1984. He enjoyed his long walks of which my mum would give him the option of which route they would take. His favourite walks were on windy days where it would blow through his fur. My mum spent most of his life looking at his backside as he trundled off in front to choose his path.

When lazing about the house Sam would postion himself very carefully at the end of my dads feet and give looks of disgust if dad would not rub his hind leg with his foot. His second favourite place was under dad's legs where he would throw his head back and peak round the corner of dads chairarm with his nose in the air.

For a few months my mum gave me a number of tellings off for supposedly leaving the living room door open giving Sam the opportunity to have a go in dads chair while nobody was looking. Despite my protests that this was not the case, I was not to be beileved. That was until I caught Sam sneakily pushing the living room door open and taking his place in the chair.
    Finally I was to be believes when we were all sat in the living room with the door closed and Sam who was sleeping in the kitchen suddenly barged through the door. My mum apologised to me albeit rather sheepishly.

Sam gave great comfort to all who needed. He would lay under my mums bed when she was ill, he would lay on the couch with me and my brother when we were ill. Sam even stayed with my dad the night he collpased on the kitchen floor in a drunken stupor keeping him warm by curling up next to him.
    He always looked out for me and my brother coming home from school, change his direction of where to looked when asked by my mum as to where we were. He would sit patiently on the corner of the street awaiting my mums return from work, often for more than an hour.

In May 1995, he became ill, he was sick and not eating very well. He would usually go to the shop with my mum and wait patiently outside for his 1p sweet but not anymore. He would get half way across the street and look at my mum as if to say 'Do I have to go?' before turning back and going home.

On May 31st 1995, it became to much, his back end gave way. We carried him to the car and took him to the local vets where they did tests and x-rays. It revealed he had cancer in 7 different places. Our baby was dying. They said they could operate but at almost 11 years old we felt it would be unfair to make him suffer.
    They brought him back in for us to say our goodbyes. Sat behind me on the chair was my mum, Sam lifted his weary head form off the floor and looked at her as if to say 'Please mum, stroke me one last time.' I clutched the fur which had come loose as I stroked him and left the room. Ten minutes later my mum and dad emerged from the room. He was gone.

Its been 11 years since he died and it still hurts as much today as it did the day he left us. He was an absolute angel in our eyes.

About two weeks after the first anniversary of Sams death, in June 1996, our lives were enlightened by Barney, an 8 week old black labrador puppy. He was boisterous and docile. At first I found it hard to accept him into our home. It was as though we were trying to replace Sam. I'd be lying if I said I loved him from the very beginning, but I did still cared for the little man that was now in our lives.
    Just over 2 years later in January 1999 Molly came into our lives. She was 10 months old and had been sent back to the breeders after her owner became ill. For three months she had lived as a working gundog. She was taken in by my mum after the breeder said he would have to shoot her if he didn't find a home for her soon. Mum being mum was determined that was not to happen.

Molly's first day with us involved meeting her brother Barney (they are siblings from different litters) in the park, diving around the house, eating all of Barneys food, finishing his bone, pinching his bed and having a bath...yep she smelt really bad! Within a day she showed who was boss, knew where the biscuits were kept, when feeding times were and that when mum finished her cup of tea on a morning that was when walkies is!

Over the years, I have noticed that Molly carries alot of the same traits as Sam. She is loving, caring, sneaky, follows my mum everywhere...all of these Sam did and she displayes them in the same way Sam would have done. Considering the circumstances in how Molly came to be with us, I often say that Sam sent her to us to look after us and to continue his duties and this shows more and more each day. As for Barney, he does it his own unique way he's big, cuddly and lovable, even if he does wag his tail and growl at you at the same time making it hard to decide which end to believe!!

They say it is supposed to get easier over time but I find that very hard to believe. Although I may not cry as much as I used to, all I have to do is think about our Sam and the pain feels as raw as it did the day he died. Each Birthday and anniversary does not go unnoticed, a little tear falls on each one. I would give anything to have him back today. Molly and Barney would have loved Sam as much as we loved him. He was a joy to have around.

R.I.P Sam, we miss and you and love you always xxxxx

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sam (Sammy pie)

Run free, sweet Sammy, and know you are loved and missed! :'(

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful story........ Sam was trully an angel........ I can relate to the broken heart you have, as I too had a wonderful companion like him..... they are gone but never forgotten. Thanks for sharing your Sam.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you

kassabella is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing Sam with us. He sounded wonderful.

I adopted Kassas littermate Ernie after she died and some times I am sure she is sending him messages to do things she did. Like your family Ernie and I miss Kassa very much.

The tears do get less, and some days the tears are unstoppable. This is called love.

Run free Sam.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thank you for sharing your wonderful Sam with us. We lost our Sam in May. I always think I'm being stupid when I still cry about it but this site has made me feel sooo much better. I hope I always tear up a little when I think about my baby. I don't ever want to forget the joy he brought to my life and how much we miss him.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Thanks for sharing yours and Sams story with us. It was beautiful.