Wylie (not a lab)

Thread: Wylie (not a lab)

DefaultWylie (not a lab)

My brother had to put down his wonderful loyal Australian Cattle Dog, "Wylie" today.* Wylie had a rough start to life being abused, but thankfully was adopted by my brother when Wylie was three.* The first year was tough because he wasn't well behaved but he turned into just a great great dog.* He was so loyal to my brother and would never let him leave his sight.* Wylie was almost 15 and was having difficulty with day to day life - and started showing signs of being in pain - it was then that my brother knew it was time.* He was hoping he would make it one more month (when he is getting married) but it was just too much.* Wylie will be missed by all who knew him.* We love you Wylie.
    Run free beautiful Wylie, and take care of Yukon...

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

DefaultRe: Wylie (not a lab)

Run free Wylie :'(

georgie is offline Senior Member

Run free Wylie. It is hard to lose our good friends.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A tribute to Wylie from my brother...

Yesterday I set Wylie (why-lee) free from his pain.

My best friend for the past 12 years, my faithful and loyal companion is now at peace.

He died in my arms and I've never cried so hard in my life. It was so hard to let him go, but it was the right thing. He was suffering from a spine that was fusing. He had lost most of his mobility and the pain medication wasn't working any more.

I rescued Wylie from the Kingston shelter 12 years ago. I wasn't even really looking for a dog, but decided to visit with my friend who was looking.

I remember Wylie because he was the only dog not going crazy and barking at every one that walked by. He sat quietly at the back of his kennel.

I decided to take him for a short walk around the compound and he was really well behaved. When I went to put him back in his kennel, he almost broke my heart as he began to tremble - not wanting to go back.

This was on a Saturday. I went home without a dog, but couldn't get Wylie out of my mind. The shelter was not open on Sunday, but on Monday morning I called to see if Wylie was still there. He was, and I decided to adopt him.

Wylie was a Red Australian Cattle Dog, aka Red Heeler. Although he was 3 years old when I adopted him, he was so skinny that he only weighed 25 lbs. However, with proper care and food, he soon became the healthy 45lbs that he maintained throughout the rest of his life.

Wylie had been abused by his previous owner, and it took him some time to trust me. It was actually a lot of work, but worth it, as he became a wonderful, loving, and loyal friend.

Over the years, the houses, apartments, relationships, trips, etc. came and went, but Wylie was always there. We were each other's best friends, doing almost everything together.

Slowly age took its toll. He needed a boost to get in the truck, then he needed to be lifted. His hearing and sight faded. He was no longer the fastest squirrel chaser in the park. Stairs became a problem and then the "accidents" started to happen.

I don't think I noticed he was getting old. It was like I woke up one day and he was. 12 years, gone in the blink of an eye.

I realized last week that the horrible time/decision had come. Wylie was alive, but wasn't "living" anymore. He slept, ate, and tried awfully hard to get comfortable when awake.

Yesterday was the day. I felt sick to my stomach for most of it. I brushed Wylie and took a whole bunch of pictures to add to the many that I already have.

I am so grateful for Erika. She drove us to the vet and was with me when Wylie passed. I held him close, told him how much I love him, told him that he wasn't going to hurt any more, thanked him for the great years, and said how sorry I was that it had to end like this.

I miss him so much. There is a huge hole in my heart. I have great family and friends. It helps a little, but right now it is very hard.

There is a saying that goes, "Dogs are not our whole world, but they make our world whole". How true this is. My world is a lot less whole today.

I love you Wylie. I always will. Goodbye my dear friend.

[attachment deleted by admin]