Is it time to let go?

Thread: Is it time to let go?

DefaultIs it time to let go?

My 12 year old chocolate has been fairly rapedly deteriorating over the last few months. Her hip dysplasia is getting bad - she is pretty stiff walking and has some trouble getting up. She was diagnosed with diabetes in January and have been giving her insulin since then. She doesn't move much and recently has been peeing alot in the house - some of it is that she doesn't make it to the door in time, sometimes she just pees where she is, and sometimes she wets the bed (peeing in her sleep)

She seems pretty sad most of the time - when i call her, its a struggle for her to get up and come to me.

She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know labs are so loyal they won't let you know they in pain - Last fall when she had an absessed tooth removed, she never wimpered.

Her appetite is still good - she is a lab after all

She still has good days - but they are getting fewer and farther between.

I have a very supportive vet, we have a lot of time talking about quality of life and will support me when I think Toby's quality of life is fading away.

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. If she were a little worse, or showing signs of pain, or senility or something that would make this an easier decision. I don't know if the time has come and I'm just not will to face it. Does anyone had any advice or help for me.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is it time to let go?

I know exactly what you are going through as I am one step ahead of you. We made the decision to let our 12 year go 2 days ago. It is so very hard, but it was the right thing to do. Henley was suffering from similar issues to yours and I know she was embarrassed and humiliated and wanted desparately to please us. It was time to say good bye. Our thoughts are with you at this time. Your dog knows you will make the best decision and the right decision. Take care.

Thats My Dog is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Is it time to let go?

I asked the very same question a few months ago when my sweetie was diagnosed with cancer. I knew the day would come, but I had no idea what to be watching for.

Everyone......including our Vet, said, "you'll know when it is time"..."Your pet will tell you"..."you're heart will let you know"..."you'll see it in their eyes". Those weren't the answers I was looking for. But those statements are so true.

I wish I could tell you that "here is how you'll know", or "this is what you'll see" when the time comes, but I can't. Honestly you'll know. Just a little over a week ago, our dog Jake told us he was ready to go.

It will be one of the toughest decisions that you'll ever have to make, but it is the right thing to do for your pal.

Spend as much time as you possibly can with your baby, try not to let them see your sorrow. Pet them, hug them, tell them you love them, and most importantly, be with them as they cross over Rainbow Bridge.

This is for you buddy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-UI...ature=youtu.be A big THANK YOU to Jacki Barineau, author and artist of this song.