returning to forum--my dear Jackson died last week

Thread: returning to forum--my dear Jackson died last week

'Possum is offline Junior Member

Defaultreturning to forum--my dear Jackson died last week

Hi everyone. Years ago I was a member of this forum--I think my username was AllisonJacksonsmom. I originally came to this forum as a newbie Lab owner, and I got a lot of great advice. Last week, we lost my beloved Jackson to Subcutaneous Hemangiosarcoma, and we are just devastated. He was 12 years old, but had been busy, healthy and active -- the dog that my vet always said would outlive all of us --and suddenly he became lethargic and lame. I rushed him to the emergency vet, and they found bleeding under his skin. They did many tests as well as ultrasounds and x-rays. He had fresh blood and plasma transfusions, but they could not get his clotting factors or red blood cell count high enough to do anything to save his life. He spent three days at the animal hospital, but he continued to get worse. We had him humanely euthanized on Wednesday 4/17/13. My husband and I were with him.

I am having such a hard time accepting this. Before he was sick, Jackson had routine blood work done, and everything was OK. Five weeks later, he was dead. I am told that is how this disease often works, but that doesn't bring any comfort to me. I still have my other dog, Samson--he's a rescue mixed-breed--but unlike Jackson who loved to cuddle, spend time with me and play games, Samson is independent (but I have to just respect that about him.) Samson seems rattled by the loss too. I've tried to keep him active through walks, training, and trying to play but that's not going so well. He was very bonded to Jackson, and really, only Jackson.

If anyone has some helpful advice on how to cope with the sudden loss of a fur family member, I certainly would appreciate it--as well as advice on how to make my little Samson happy again.
    RIP Action Jackson 1/17/2001-04/17/2013001.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry...how unfair

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. I also lost my beloved Ozzy a few short weeks after his routine annual check up and blood work was perfect. I knew something was wrong within a week because he began to leave food in his bowl, unheard of in his 8 1/2 years with us. After 2 weeks of numerous tests, blood work, x-rays, etc where nothing was ever found, he died at home less than an hour after his last vet appointment.
    There is nothing I can say to make you feel better, the old saying that time helps heal all wounds is mostly true. In time you will find you are able to think of him without that horrible "take your breath away" feeling. After a year or so I could talk about him without crying and now I can actually laugh about some of his silly antics. Ozzy was truly my
    heart dog, I will miss him for the rest of my life. I have another dog, Emma, a Lab/Border Collie mix that grew up with him and was very attached to him. She mourned for a very long time. After about 3/4 months we got another Lab
    puppy, Maxx, who will be 2 in July. I did not get him to replace my Ozzy, I just needed another dog in my life. Maxx also helped Emma tremendously, they keep each other company and the spark is back in her eye. I thank God every day for Maxx as he has helped to heal my heart and he makes me smile every day! There is no right or wrong way to mourn. It takes time and much help. I wish you the best, my heart breaks for you.
    RIP Jackson, run free sweet boy.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-22-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free Jackson.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

tismom is offline Senior Member

Godspeed, Jackson. You were loved.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

So sorry. RIP, Jackson.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

bett is offline Senior Member

sorry for your sudden loss.
    i think you need time to mourn.
    hard to understand when it happens so suddenly.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss. I hope with time you find peace and comfort from the great memories you have of him. Pat

Ding for Jackson.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

'Possum is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the support everyone. I am sure this is a hurt that will be with us for a while. I am lucky because I have a lot of dog-loving friends for me to lean on, and many have said how much they enjoyed my sweet Jackson.