Why all the memories today?

Thread: Why all the memories today?

mrogers is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy all the memories today?

I wonder why I keep thinking of Max today? Is it because it is a warm, sunny spring day and he would have laid on the deck, all stretched out, groaning his happy, sleepy lab moan/groan? He really loved warm spring days like this. If we played fetch and he got too warm he would have searched out a last remaining snow pile to flop down into. And if my daughter and I played catch, he would have been in the way dropping his tennis ball at our feet.
    Maybe I miss him because Max was born on Easter weekend 10 years ago. We had another pup from the litter picked out but when we went to get our pup, the one we had picked didn't seem very interested in us. He was busy playing with his brothers. Max came to the edge of the pen and put his paws up and looked at us. He stayed there til we picked him up. I believe he chose us that day. The breeder let us change our minds and take Max instead.
    I don't know why I miss him so much today. It has been 9 months now and most days he isn't on my mind so much anymore. Today I just keep seeing him doing things he did, like running across the yard at the call for "dinner", or snoozing in the sun, or looking at me every few minutes on our walks as if to keep a connection between us.
    Someone on another thread said they had lost their "heart dog". I never heard that term before but I really think Max was my heart dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Precious memories. Some people go their whole life never knowing such a dog. Enjoy and cherish every memory. RIP Max.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I understand your feelings completely. I **know** Ozzy was my heart dog and I see/feel him often. Sometimes when we love something so much the memories are often overwhelming. It does get easier and the smiles come more often. Hang in there. Be thankful for the wonderful memories you do have.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Sending hugs to you. The memories of my girl catch up to me once in a while but when you have developed such a bond with a dog, you never forget them.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Sometimes it seems as if you can control your grief over the loss, then one day it hits you. Max will always be there in your heart and you remember him with smiles and/or tears but he will always be there for you.

Brette is offline Senior Member

Same thing happened to me a view days ago... tears, flipping through photo albums, feeling sorry for myself and few gin and tonics ensued. I don't think it's a bad thing to get upset about losing your old friends though. I hope you feel better today.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Because they are always in our heart and just seem to tug on it a little more certain days. Cherish those memories.