enlarged spleen / anemic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: enlarged spleen / anemic

kromulok is offline Senior Member

Defaultenlarged spleen / anemic

Hey everyone,

So my oldest, Shady (border collie / lab mix) is about 13 years old. Estimate on age as she was a rescue and we are best guessing she was about a year when we rescued her. She stopped eating a few days ago and on the 3rd day of not eating I took her to the vet. Bloodwork shows she has a very high white blood cell count and a low red, so she is anemic. Xrays show her spleen is enlarged. The vet says it could be caused by a few different things (parasite, infection, cancer or tumor). Says she isn't quite sure where the blood is going to explain why low red counts unless its bursting into her stomach. Offered ultra sound tests or exploritory surgery but also stated at Shady's age, even if she removed the spleen you have to consider the trauma to the dog against what gain you would get from it. Meaning, if the dog was 7 sure you could get more years out of her life, but being that Shady is 13, time is already short and is it worth it to put her through that? Also stated at her age, the surgery would be risky as well.

We are very sad here at losing our dear friend. She still isnt eating normal but has taken some bites of food. She is quite lethargic and just laying around. She doesn't appear to be in any pain currently. The vet we took her to is our secondary vet that has longer hours and weekend hours. I am taking her to our primary vet today at 330 for their evaluation.

Just not sure what to think here. I want to do everything I can for Shady but at the same time, if this is her end of life and time then I do not want to make her uncomfortable with surgeries that may not do much for her long term. Has anyone else gone through this? Any tips or advice?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My beloved 11 yo lab collapsed one morning. When we got to the vet he was very anemic. She did exploratory surgery and found tumors on his spleen. They removed the spleen but the pathology came back hemangiosarcoma...close to a 100% death sentence. He lived for 6 months, wonderful, fantastic, lively, bittersweet months before he finally collapsed again. This time it was obvious nothing could be done and he was euthanized probably just 1/2 day before he would have gone naturally. I can't really give you advice about which way to go. You can ask her....sometimes they'll tell you and you just know...but no one is going to judge you whichever path you take. I'm very sorry you have to go through this.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. We went through something very similar with our previous lab, Tango. He was collapsing, and the vet did the ultrasound and found the enlarged spleen and the same blood counts are you are experiencing. He was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. The collapsing was the results of bleeding out internally. He was 10-1/2 at the time, so we had his spleen removed. He did great for a couple of months after that, but then went downhill quickly.

My advice would be to NOT do surgery on your girl. Keep a close eye on her behaviors, and watch her eyes. Her eyes will tell you when it's time.

I am so very sorry for you. Prayers for your girl.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Things are worse. Our primary advised the spleen isn't just enlarged, it's huge. Advised the anemic condition is and will get worse. Explained how things will go in time be it 12 hours or 2 weeks... Can't give a timeline but said she is showing signs of the end. We don't want our girl to suffer. We don't want her to go alone while we are at work. I wish I knew the exact day that it could burst or when I could put her down at the last minute. I want to be selfish and keep her by my side for as long as I can. But we don't know. What we do know is she hasn't eaten for nearly 5 days. She is sad. Shaky. Lethargic. Mopy. Distancing from everyone. It's just not shady. So tomorrow morning my wife and I will hold our baby girl until she passes onto the rainbow bridge. We can't stop crying but a dog who never gives kisses lathered our faces tonight and stared at us I swear as if telling us its ok and that she is tired.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

That's what we mean when we say "she'll tell you". Have peace with that. And through all the mourning, remember to celebrate her life. We are given such a precious gift with dogs. So sorry.

labby is offline Senior Member

I lost my beloved Stevie to this. I wouldn't risk surgery even if I could have afforded it. They always let you know when they've has had enough and all we can do is just respect their wishes. That's the biggest, greatest gift we can give our pets.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I feel so horrible for what we are about to have to do in an hour. I know it's the right thing and I know if we wait too long she will be in great pain but my god why do we have to do this. I'm sorry for dragging this on here but I've never had to make this decision before. For something that is the right and compassionate thing to do why does it feel so horrible
    My wife kids and I are really struggling this morning

labby is offline Senior Member

You're not dragging this on. You're very normal. Nobody wants to face the decision you've made. I think we all would wish that they would pass peacefully in their sleep. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often enough. Doing what you are doing is never an easy decision, or at least it shouldn't be. However, in instances such as yours, it is the right decision. Maybe think of it as the ultimate act of love? It doesn't make it easier on you and your family, but think of the peace Shady will have. She is not feeling well and is in pain. You wouldn't want her to linger like this just to make it easier on you.

We're all here for you any time you need to talk about her and your decision. Many of us have been in your position and sometimes just hearing that we know how you feel and do care will help.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast