Casey & Digger, 2 great sons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey & Digger, 2 great sons.

Lil Man Jake is offline Senior Member

DefaultCasey & Digger, 2 great sons.

I lost my 14 year old Big Black Dog on Feb. 5th of this year. He was a big boy and I could see his muscles deteriorating in his hinds. He was such a proud boy, I so hated to see him that way. I always said when "K" stops eating, I know it's time. He was getting weak, he kept falling down, couldn't squat like he normally did, his back legs looked skinny.
    Well he did, stop eating, he was vomiting and wouldn't eat ANY of his most favorite things, he wouldn't even drink water.
    This happened on a Saturday and he was gone Sunday night.
    Doctor thinks he had cancer, he had a lot of tumors.
    He died in my arms as he was between my husband and I.
    He was the "meat" in a mommy and daddy sandwich.
    Please don't say why didn't I get him to the vet, well, no vet is open on a Sunday except an emergency vet and I just knew my boy wanted to die at home and he wasn't suffering or I would have brought him. I knew it was time and he had such a long life weighing around 100lbs all his life. He was too proud and I know my son. He so didn't want to leave me, he has been my rock, all his life, he was my protector, especially after his first daddy died suddenly in 2006. He always had to be within eyes view of me. I knew my boys were old and their time would come but it still is never easy when it happens, it crushes your heart.
    Btw, he had not an ounce of Lab in him, he had me fooled his whole life, I did a DNA test the previous December and was suprised to find out he was Doberman, Harrier, American Eskimo, Pointer, Rottweiler and a few other things. But he thought he was a Lab, lol.

Well, little did I know that just 3 1/2 months later I would lose my special boy, Digger.
    I just had a different bond with Dee Dee, I got him when he was 7 weeks, K was about 8 months.
    So, Dee Dee and I had a long 15 years together. He was so smart, funny, knew so many tricks and was hopelessly devoted to me.
    He was 1/2 Lab, 1/4 Collie and 1/4 Jindo. He definitely had the personality of a Lab, happy and LOVED water!
    He was quite the dock jumper too but never competed and he had hip displaysia in BOTH hips but lived a long, happy life despite it!
    He was getting weak too, he started falling down too, I saw it coming but couldn't believe it was so close to K dying. I kept thinking I would just find him one morning, passing in his sleep. My husband and I always did breathing checks, he slept so much and hard.
    Well one morning, May 16th, just one day shy of his 15th birthday, he was still being normal, shared my breakfast sandwich like he always did, showed me his smile and did his wolf howl. We would ask him if he was a wolf and he would go ahhhhh woooooo! He wanted to go outside so I let him out and he fell down, I ran out there and grabbed the harness that helps me help him walk and he came in the house slow, then plopped down and seemed to convulse slightly and he never got up, barely moved, I called a mobile vet to ask her to maybe come put him to rest, she and I believe he probably had a stroke, from what I explained she believed he would probably pass on his own in the next hours. I knew this, and I wanted him to be home too. I called my husband and he rushed home from work knowing that this was going to be the hardest thing he would see me go thru. I layed there with Dee Dee for 4 hours as his breathing got more shallow, he was dieing and taking a piece of my heart with him. He layed basically still from the moment he collapsed, my husband and I made another sandwich with Dee Dee being the meat. I told him a million times how much I loved him, how I will miss him every day until I can see him and his brother again.
    Just before he took his last breath, he somehow found the strength to lift his paw and put it on my shoulder, he was saying goodbye.
    He stopped breathing just moments later.
    As I type this, tears are pouring down my face, I don't think I will ever be able to get over the pain of losing my 2 sons. I have no human children, these WERE my children.
    Poor Ginger, our remaining dog was so depressed when Dee Dee left, she reverted back to the terrified, fearful, severly abused girl she was when I first got her 11 years ago. This made his passing even harder, because she had lost her security.
    We were going to wait awhile to get another dog, but we sort of rushed it as we had to try and help her.
    She seems to have age so much in the last 6 months. .
    Well, we got Jake our full Lab puppy exactly 1 month after Dee Dee died.
    You can meet him in "introductions".
    I just wanted to honor my boys. Thanks.
    Here is a video I made of them.

You will be forever missed, my boys "K" and "D". Mommy Loves You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your double loss. My husband and I only have furbaby labs as children but we love them just as much. We lost our little girl a few months ago at 9 and we have a feeling this will be our oldest girl, Abbey's, last winter with us. She is 13 and has really lived a full, loved, and pampered life and I would like to think that I won't be as grief stricken when she goes but I know I am fooling myself. They have such a way of wiggling into your heart and filling it up completely.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

I know just how you feel. I'm a single guy, with no children, so my dogs are my kids. Last April, I lost my first Lab, Deacon. He and I had been together for over 12 years. Even now, I still get choked up when I think about the day he died. Every morning, before I leave for work, I touch his urn and picture and tell how much I love and miss him. They really do worm their way into your heart.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for your losses also, enjoy every second, before you know it, it will be time for them to go.
    So, so hard, no human children here either, but my boys were just as good if not better!
    The loss for me was something I knew I would have to accept one day, you just never are ready for it, even if you know that is coming.
    I had both my boys cremated. Now, you can call me crazy or think I have some screws loose.
    But, when I picked up Casey, he was in an oak box.
    I have a favorite pic of "K" and that pic is in the woodgrain of the box, I could see it immediately. It was like his way of showing me he will always being watching over me.
    Almost 3 years ago I had a bad cold that wasn't going away. K sat vigile with me but it was his out of character persistance to get on my lap, to lay on me.
    Well, to try and make a long story short, I ended up having a quintuple bypass (yeah at age 41!) and I knew afterwards he was trying to tell me something was wrong with his mommy. Oh how I miss the security and loyalty of my boy.
    Now, when Digger passed, we had him cremated at the same place, this is the craziest thing.
    Before the man had the box pulled completely out of the bag, I saw Digger's image also in the woodgrain!
    No, it's not wishful thinking, other people see it too! The pic of K with his head turned and the one of D are the one's I see on the boxes. The other one is K laying with Dad.
    My boys are still here with me and they will be waiting for me when it's my time and we will go over that Rainbow bridge all together, young, healthy and vibrant!
    Mommy so misses you K and D!Attachment 5947Attachment 5948Attachment 5949
    Last edited by Lil Man Jake; 11-08-2012 at 03:47 AM.

grlzmommy is offline Member

Wow I'm so sorry for your losses I had tears reading your post, losing one is hard enough but 2! My heart breaks for you I hope your other dog is doing better now with the new doggie
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

tismom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your losses. It's always difficult to lose them. I hope the new pup will help with your grieving and also you other dog's grieving.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

Ty again for your thoughts, yes Jake has helped and Ginger is better.
    Attachment 6025Attachment 6026

dogfur is offline Member

Sorry for your lose. The new puppy is so cute.

Thanks again, yeah Jake is kinda cute but I am biased.

Jilian is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your losses. Your dogs were beautiful and you helped to give them a peaceful and loving passing surrounded by those they loved most. Rest peacefully sweet dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast