Happy Trails Ember
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Trails Ember

Foxred12 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHappy Trails Ember

I got my foxred colored Ember when she was 8 weeks and at a time in my life that was very difficult. She really helped me with her puppy antics and her quiet determination to not give up. Ember had such great drive and wrapped herself tightly around my heart. Ember and I hunted waterfowl and upland birds together. I can't count the thousand of rounds she had heard or the thousand of birds she brought back.

I let Ember have a couple of litters then had her spayed at 5 y/o. Most of her pups went on to bird hunting lives, but one specially selected pup went to work for FEMA in the human hunting department.

Ember retired from active and hard hunting about 4 years ago when she tore up her acl. Vet repaired her knee and Ember walked with a limp, but she did her best not to let it slow her down. I took her to a couple of European pheasant hunts after the vet released her to "light" work, which let still show off her brillant nose and drive to her budding replacement a young chocolate girl named Squirt.

Ember was living the easy life of a retiree. Sleeping by the fire in the winter, laying in front of the fan during the summer, and being the dog in charge of the house life.

On August 25th, around 3:40 pm, Ember had her first seizure. My husband and I rushed her over to the vet. Vet did lab work (LOL) and everything came back normal. No turmors in her belly, lungs sounded clear, and her heart sounded good. Vet decided to put Ember on some stuff for seizures.

On the way home, 6:40 pm, Ember had another seizure. When we got home I gave her the first dose of medicine. At 9 pm, Ember had another seizure, then again at 12:30 am. I didn't go to bed, I just stayed awake knowing I had to look after her. After that seizure she was having them about every hour to hour and a half. Each time it took her longer and longer to recover, and she just kept getting weaker. The last time I know she recognized me and responded to her name was when she wanted to go outside around 3:30 am.

Ember had limped to the grass did her job and was able to walk back to the front porch, where she had to lay down and rest. She looked up at me and into my soul and told me it was her time to go. You might think I'm nuts for saying that, but that is the kind of bond Ember and I had. I laid there with her on the concrete of the front porch, crying my eyes out, my arm around her scratching her chest with the rain softly falling on us.

I was at the Vet's office when they opened. By then she was no longer responding to her name or to external noise made by her ears. The vet said she thought Ember had a brain bleed. I made one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make and I know it was the right one. I'm sure she has taken her place as the matriach of the pack that is waiting for me on the other side. I am missing her like no other dog I have ever owned. Ember was 12 years young.

Funny thing is about 7 months ago I managed to get one of Ember's granddaughters and I swear that Curly is channeling her grandmother. Same kind of antics and drive. I'm wondering if Ember had a talk with Curly and told her all the dog secrets she needed to know.

Ember by the fireplace.jpgCurly.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Ember sounds like an amazing dog.
    Run free, Ember!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Many tears here. Run free sweet Ember...Your story so touched my heart. We lost our 12 year old foxred Maggiemay in May 2011. It was sudden like your Ember. She was fine, out getting petted by the neighbor and doing some neighborhood barking. A few minutes later she was laying on the porch panting. She could barely stand. We were at the vet within 10 minutes and 15 minutes later she was gone. She had an abdominal aneurysm that burst. I was sobbing in the vet's office. I can relate to you laying on the porch with your girl and crying. A few weeks later we got Sophie. I remember thinking I just wanted the pain to stop, and prayed Sophie would help with our grief. She planted a paw firmly in our hearts and has helped us so much. I still miss my Maggie girl, and will forever love her, but now we love Sophie too. Sometimes, I swear, she is channeling Maggie! My heart breaks for you, and if you ever need to talk, I am here.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it is to have a dog turn your life around, my Ozzy did that for me. Losing him last June at just 8 years old broke my heart in a way I can not even put in to words. Run free Ember, RIP.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Sorry for your loss - Ember sounds like an amazing dog! I know Curly isn't a replacement for Ember, but I hope that you're able to find the same sort of bond with her that you did with Ember.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Tears flowing for your sweet Ember. She is running free in a huge grassy field waiting for the day she is reunited with her human family So sorry for your loss.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear of your loss of an amazing dog. RIP, Ember.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss of Ember. She sounded like a a wonderful girl. We never have them long enough and we make those tough decisions because we love them so much. RIP, Ember.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I am so sorry about sweet Ember. I loved your tribute to her.

Mazie's Mom is offline Senior Member

well... I could say so much but will just give you our heartful love and healing thoughts... it's a very hard journey and we are here for you... love our pups that have gone before their time.....it is very tough to handle.... still after 5 years we miss our "Heart dog"... Our Mazie is a delight and helps me every day heal..... sorry for your heartache...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast