RIP Conor - 24/10/1998 - 29/11/2011

Thread: RIP Conor - 24/10/1998 - 29/11/2011

kiwilabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultRIP Conor - 24/10/1998 - 29/11/2011

My beautiful boy Conor passed away just over a month ago, aged 13, and only now do I feel able to write about it. He had to be put to sleep after an illness which had seen him stop eating and dramatically lose weight, culminating in him being unable to stand without help. Even though I knew I was ending his suffering it was still the toughest, most heartbreaking decision of my life and the hours and days since have been a struggle. Conor and I were together for 13 amazing years, time which I cherish and will forever be grateful for. I feel blessed to have had him walk beside me, or bounce as was most often the case, his tail a blur as it wagged madly. Conor was my once in a lifetime dog and although I will probably choose another Labrador in time, there will never be another dog like him. A large piece of my heart will always be reserved for him. 13 years of love, loyalty and laughter seems all too short to me at this time, but I hope to reach a point where thinking about him makes me smile and laugh more than it makes me cry. As a semi-regular visitor to JustLabs I felt compelled to share my feelings about my energetic, joyful, incredible boy, because reading the other Rainbow Bridge entries have brought me some comfort, even though most of them reduce me to tears. It helps to know that others love their Labradors as deeply as I love Conor, so thank you to those of you who have shared your stories. All of us have been truly blessed to have had a Labrador in our lives.

DSC00253.JPG
    Scan 001.jpg
    Awful Tired 002.jpg
    Scan 006.jpg
    Last edited by kiwilabs; 03-28-2012 at 03:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am typing this through my tears.... I am so heartfully sorry for your loss. We lost our sweet Maggiemay at age 12 in May. I still cry for her. She was my heart dog. I can empathize with you. I wish there were words I could say to make you feel better, but there just aren't any. I remember thinking that I just wanted the pain to stop. We would love to see pictures of your boy Conor. When you are ready to find a special puppy, it will help you in your grief. No dog can ever replace our Maggiemay, but Sophie has found her own place in our hearts. We can't help but love her, she wouldn't allow it! I am a neurotic worrier with Sophie since losing Maggie, I worry constantly that something will happen to her! Maggie was fine one minute and gone the next. She had an abdominal aneurysm rupture. We didn't see it coming. She had been eating fine, playing and getting petted by the neighbor just a little while before we found her in distress. I can tell how much you love Conor, and I believe that it does him a service to honor his memory by finding another pup to love. He would want you to, I really believe that.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Tears here also. I feel your pain and I am so sorry for your loss. We are never ready to lose them and it breaks your heart. RIP Connor, run free sweet boy. ((Hugs)) to you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiwilabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultThanks

Thank you very much Pam and Tammy for your kind words and generous spirit. It helps to share with people who understand how much a dog can mean in a person's life. Thank you also for your thoughtful advice. Pam I am sorry for your loss of Maggiemay, reading your news made me cry, but I am glad that we have both known the joy of such incredible four legged friends. I intend to post some photos of Conor when I return home from my summer holidays, but I warn you, he is ridiculously good looking! Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Kia ora
    Terrance
    Last edited by kiwilabs; 12-31-2011 at 05:12 AM.

bett is offline Senior Member

so sorry for your loss.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

So sorry for your loss! Run free, Conor.

LabMom1 is offline Junior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Maggie in Sept of this year, and know the pain that you feel. Remember the times you had with your dog both good and bad as they will carry you through.

Maggie
    July 1 2000 - September 22 2011

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

I read your post through tears. Losing a dog is so hard, and a lot of people just don't understand the enormity of the grief you are experiencing. We lost our Rin on Apr 3rd 2007. We rescued her when she was a year old, and had her from Aug 17th 1992. Letting her go was the hardest decision i have ever had to make, and seriously, i didnt know if i could ever have another dog as i just didn't know if i could go through that again. However, the house felt empty, my heart felt empty. In June 2008 we got Harvey, he will never replace Rin, but we didnt get him for that reason. Harvey has carved out his own place in our hearts, and his big sister Rin seems to be communicating with him from the 'otherside'. Yep, she has been teaching him some bad habits

Allow yourself to grieve, you need to do that. Treasure the memories, cry and before you know it, you will be laughing at some of those memories.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is the hardest thing we ever have to do when loving dogs.
    You will reach a point you can remeber him without tears. It may take time, but it will happen. I lost Kassa 6 years ago and there are still days the tears come along with a special memory. Treasure the good memories, keep them close and know you shared your life with an amazing dog who treasured his time with you as much as you did with him.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/