Um, hi. I'm new here. I stumbled across this on the internet, and decided to do this for my dog.
Reagan was a beautiful chocolate lab. I only had him for about 4 months, but I had known him for about 4 years. He was my step dad's dog, and him and my mom got married in July, and that's when they moved in with us. Including Reagan.
He became my best friend. We cuddled on the bed at night, when he howled thinking he was alone, I would be there to comfort him. I grew close to him very quickly.
But on October 23rd, 2011, he woke me up yelping and having a spaz attack at 3:30 exactly. I was scared, I didn't know what was going on. I told my mom in the morning but describe it as a spaz attack, not wanting to say it was a seizure because I had never experienced or seen one in my life, especially a dog having one. She brushed it off and he acted fine, so I did too. But he woke me up on the 24th having another one, at 3:30 as well. Same thing happened, my mom brushed it off and didn't take anything from it. But on the 25th, he had another one. I told my mom when I woke up, but the same thing happened again. I heard him rush downstairs, but then I heard the yelping. My mom had experienced his seizure, but she was mad because he peed uncontrollably on the wood floors, so she threw him outside for the day.
I got home from school and went outside to check on him, I was so worried. But he wouldn't get up. So I called my mom and she came home and we took him to the vet. Reagan's vet said that there was a ton of stuff that could be possible to cause the seizures happening, and he had low-blood sugar, could have a tumor and stuff. We took him home, gave him the medicine, and he was fine.
He was fine the next morning as well. But I came home with my friend on Wednesday, October 26th. I ran outside, and I found him laying on the grass, foaming from his mouth, panting heavily. His eyes were glazed over and he wouldn't react to me calling his name or anything. I called my mom and she was bagging food, not at home. So me and my friend sat there, sobbing for 45 minutes, unable to do anything for the dying Reagan.
We took him to the vet and learned that he had probably been in a seizure for 2 hours at the most. He was having one for so long that it caused him brain damage, so he wasn't responsive to anything. They told us they could save him, but he wouldn't be the same dog. So my mom made the decision to put him down.
It was so hard. Even when he had passed, I didn't want to leave his body. I didn't want to leave that terrible dog smell that he had, or leave his beautiful, soft brown fur that I adored so much. But I finally made myself leave. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, walking out on my best friend like that.
It's been almost two months and I'm terrible. This is the second time an animal has died in front of me, but this time it was different. I had BONDED with this dog, and I loved him. I still do. And I know he loved me.
And I wish I could of gotten to tell him that when he was...actually not dying.
Rest in peace, Reagan. I miss my cuddle buddy, I miss taking you on walks and I miss being greeted when I walked in the door from school. I will never, EVER forget you. I hope you know that, buddy.
??/??/??(we never knew his age, he was a stray) - 10/26/2011
Photo on 2011-08-01 at 01.33.jpg
Photo on 2011-07-10 at 23.27.jpg
Im sorry for your loss! He was a gorgeous dog. They are never here long enough.
~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.
I am so sorry for your loss, we never have them long enough. I hope that time helps to heal your heart.
I am so sorry!
Oh my gosh this had me in tears. I am so sorry you had to go through this. He knows you loved him and he loved you for the love you gave him. You were there for him.
Run free Reagan. Please come back and let us know how you are doing.
Sorry for your loss, we all understand the
grief you are going through........
Thank you guys so much. It means so much to me and I know it would for Reagan. People are so nice here and their dogs are absolutely beautiful.
I'm so sorry for your loss. And as the others said, I'm sure he knew you loved him, they always know.
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
I am so sorry. He was beautiful.