Nite, Nite Maggie Jul 1 2000 - Sept 22 2011

Thread: Nite, Nite Maggie Jul 1 2000 - Sept 22 2011

LabMom1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNite, Nite Maggie Jul 1 2000 - Sept 22 2011

It's been almost 3 weeks now since we had to help our Maggie cross the Rainbow Bridge. I had just joined this great forum back in April (after being a long time lurker). The end came rather suddenly (well to me anyways, I think my husband knew). She had been diagnosed with diabetes about 4 months before she turned 11 (which was in July), then came the Cushings, and finally LP (Laryangeal Paralysis). We were treating the Diabetes and the Cushings, but in the end i suspect (especially after reading a recent thread here) that it may have been the LP (or complications from) that may have gotten her. There were subtle signs that her mobility was declining: NOt being able to climb the steps (which started back around the time of the diabetes diagnosis). Next came not wanting to go for walks anymore (her all-time favorite thing to do). Followed by trips across the yard becoming shorter and shorter. Sleeping more, etc. Three weeks ago, we had taken her to the vet because she hadn't eaten for about 36 hours. Then i heard the words that suggested the end was near: "I'm concerned about her mobility".

The vet (who i really like, and we just switched to) said she had severe hind leg weakness, and her muscles had begun (or continued actually) to atropy. She basically was unable to walk. And then he said You can't carry her around everywhere, which is true. Still, i was hoping for a miracle, and believed she couldn't walk because she was weak from not eating (not really understanding or wanting to understand what the vet was saying). We went there (she had stayed overnight Tuesday night and Wed night) kind of expecting what we had to do. I brought her stuffed ducky that she liked to carry around (she would grab it whenever anyone came over, as she was always excited to see people). We get into the room, and they brought her in. I should say wheeled her in as she was on a table. When we saw her like that we knew. She was so happy to see us, she tried to leap off the table (had she been younger and in better health, she would have lept right off the table and right onto the floor). They lowered her to the floor level, and she tried to step off when her right leg compeltely crumpled underneath her and she landed on the floor in a heap. She didn't seem to be in any pain (but i know labs hide it well). She was happy. I gave her the duck and she played with it in her mouth for a bit. Whenever anyone came into the room (vet tech, Dr.) she picked it up and greeted that person with it.

They left us alone for a bit, and my husband and I both said goodbye. I had been telling her almost everynight for the last 6 months that I loved her and wanted her to know that. Then i would tell her she was my best friend (then i would add straight from the movie Forest Gump "my only friend") - sometimes i honestly feel that way. Watching her go to sleep for the final time was almost more than i could bear. And to this day, nearly 3 weeks later, i have tremendous guilt over it. She probably thought she was coming home with us. Well, she did come home but it was to a different place, a place I know I'll see her again someday.

Rest in peace Maggie, Mommy (and Daddy) love you.

Maggie
    July 1 2000 - September 22 2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I sobbed reading your story. We lost our sweet Maggie in May of this year. It was a devastating loss. It was sudden, she had an abdominal aneurysm. She was 12. I am thankful that I didn't have to go through what you did. The last time I saw Maggie, she was laying on the exam table. I petted her and sweet-talked her and went into the waiting room while the vet took her in back to work on her. We had gotten her to the vet immediatley when she started puffing to breathe and could barely get up. It happened suddenly, as she had been outside earlier barking and saying Hi to the neighbor. I was in shock when the vet came out and told us she was gone. I am glad I didn't have to decide like you did. My heart breaks for you. Looking at the picture of your Maggie, she reminds me so much of ours. We got our Sophie in June. She has really helped with the grief. I remember thinking I just wanted the pain to stop. I thought a puppy would help. She does help, but I still miss my Maggie everyday.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet dear friend. It is so hard to let them go and she had no doubt that you loved her so much.

hugs and prayers for you until you meet her again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear Maggie. I know how hard it is.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry about your loss of Maggie. We helped our Molly cross the bridge this past May. It is never easy. But I knew in my heart it was the right decision. We make these tough decisions because we love them. Maggie knew she was loved. We never have them long enough.

FLMike is offline Member

I am sorry for your loss. We recently went through it will our Bella. DW and I stayed with her till the end, but we will always be glad we were there for her. We gave six great years....