Need some help. 2 questions.

Thread: Need some help. 2 questions.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some help. 2 questions.

Please help!
    I am getting prepared for Christmas. Each year I would take a shot of Huckle to send as my Christmas card. Of course as he got older pictures were so easy. He new how to pose for the camera.

I am having a bigger challenge with Guthrie. Not only because he has limited patience for my picture taking but also because his eyes are soooo dark. I end up with pictures with two big black holes for eyes. And they reflect everything...at certain angles you can actually see me (taking pictures) reflected in his eyes. Sometimes it is the leaves on the trees. I miss my Huckle's pretty light brown eyes.

Any suggestions on what I can do to lighten up this particular area?

My other question is regarding lenses. I have a Nikon D50 with a 55-200mm zoom(1.4-5.6G) and and 18-55mm(1.3.5-5.6) lens. Last winter I somehow managed to get some incredible actions shots of Guthrie in the snow. Ever since then I have struggled to get any action shots in focus. The only thing I can think is that I may have had the zoom lens on the camera when I was taking shots last winter. Is it possible that this zoom lens is capable of getting "sharper" action shots?

I will admit that I do not use manual mode for any of my shots.

I really want to be able to get better motion shots and from my limited knowlegdge I think it requires a different lens. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What kind of lens should I be looking for. I want to put it on my Christmas list.

Thanks again!

P.S. LOVE your photos!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need some help. 2 questions.

For your x-mas photos, I would use your Zoom...you will get better blur in the background. I like seeing my reflection in the eyes, I think it is pretty cool! But, if you don't like it, you can always mess with it in editing, OR you could have him not look directly at you and the camera.

I actually, would use your 55-200. It looks like it is a faster lens (1.4-5.6) depending on what focal length it is at, so I would use that for all your action shots too!

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Any suggestions on what I can do to lighten up this particular area?
    Use your internal flash as a 'fill flash'. Shoot in M mode with a shutter speed of at least 1/250. Stand back away from the subject and zoom in (with your 55-200) leaving enough room for cropping.

Then set your aperture at f/8 and stop it down if you need less light and up if you need more light. You may also want to adjust FEC especially if you're shooting outdoors.

It make take some experimenting and A LOT of shots before you get one that you like.

Is it possible that this zoom lens is capable of getting "sharper" action shots?
    Do you have any examples?

Action shots take a lot of practice. If you're using your 55-200, you'll need to use a fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for the replies!

Jimbo, I am excited to try the manual settings. Two questions. What is "internal flash" Is that just using manual the way you have recommended? Also don't know what FEC is. I know I probably should take a class. I really have no idea how to take pictures.

Examples of pictures..

These are some from the snow storm....every one of them turned out as good as I would want them to.

Almost every other picture I have ever shot of action has turned out like this

I am wondering if something is actually wrong with the camera. Obviously it is capable of getting action shots. The only thing I can think of is that the snow somehow made things real bright...would that make a difference? You can see that it is not as if it was sunny when I shot the snow pictures.

Thanks again. And if you have any recommendations for a new lens let me know.

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

FEC or EC is your (Flash) exposure compensation. This setting either brightens(+) or darkens(-) your pictures.

The shutter speed on the last picture is 1/80 which is WAY to slow for action shots. Try a faster shutter speed, like 1/400 or faster if you're using your 55-200. You may need change your ISO speed to 400 to get a faster shutter speed in low light.

If I were you, I would read your owner's manual front to back over and over again until you're familiar with the settings on your camera. Try some of the other creative modes like Tv, Av, P that allow you change your settings.

Here are some other great books:
    Understanding Exposure - http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...ref=pd_sim_b_1
    The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2- http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...ref=pd_sim_b_2

fburke is offline Senior Member

I am about as amateur as they get when it comes to picture taking howver I have found a few flash tricks to avoid situations like this…

Try using a defuser your flash….tape a piece of white paper to reflect the flash up rather than straight into your subject….I take it your using the onboard flash on your d50 I have a d40 myself…

A lot of external flashes if you have noticed you can change the direction of the flash the paper just does this for you. For tricks on this, and a much better expatiation check out this site… scroll to the bottom to see the diffuser.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm#card