How do you take a Silhouette photo?

Thread: How do you take a Silhouette photo?

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you take a Silhouette photo?

looking at this weeks challange i was wondering How do you take a Silhouette photo?, how do you handle the lighting and flash?

Photography is new to me so beginning to learn all the different styles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you take a Silhouette photo?

Silhouettes are achieved with backlighting ... in other words the light is strong in back of the object you are shooting. Using the sun, try it when it's nearing sundown ~ low on the horizon but with a bright sky. It also helps to use a little higher f/stop to get the whole scene in focus. I tend to have really narrow DOF (sorry, depth of field) in my photos ... I have to force myself to change

Oh, and you don't want to use your flash -- you would not have a silhouette then.

I found this 4 you, maybe it will help: http://digital-photography-school.co...h-silhouettes/

<br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you take a Silhouette photo?

I don't know how much you know about photography. Here is a hint if you're not shooting in manual/AV/TV modes.

Put your subject in front of the light source. It could be the setting sun as Chowhound said. Point your camera toward the light source. If it's the sun, just point in the sun's direction, not directly at the sun. Push the shutter button down halfway to lock focus. Now, while still holding the shutter button halfway down, point the camera back at your subject. Take the picture. This should correctly expose for the brighter light source and underexpose your subject making it a silhouette. Hope this helps.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie