Photoshop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop?

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultPhotoshop?

Because I am enrolled at the local university, I am eligible for student software pricing for Photoshop (which I believe is a tidy little discount.)

But, I am confused...which version do I want/need?

Elements 4.0 for $59
    Professional for Mac $139
    Adobe Indesign CS 3 for Mac $189
    w/upgrade + $195
    Premier Pro CS3 (for Windows...tho, I would assume they offer the same for Mac??) $349

As I have never before used PS, I am not sure how I will exactly use it. But, I do know that I want to use it for sharpening, adjusting color, etc.

Thanks

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Photoshop?

For what you want to use it for, I'd go with PS Elements (by the way, the latest version is 6.0 and it's available at Costco for something like $40 after coupon). Another great program is Adobe Lightroom. I have rescued many a photo with that program.
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Elements!!! Its got a lot of the same stuff photoshop does, but more.

Not InDesign.

CS3 - you need at least 2GB of RAM.

I've got CS2 and when I upgrade computers I'll go to CS3.

If you just want to play around a bit with it, Elements will be fine. Haven't used lightroom.

Get books by Scott Kelby - he's the Adobe Master!!!! His books are absolutely amazing!!!

Save the $$ for a new lens!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

I have Photoshop CS3 and it is way over my head. I can do simple resizing, and auto levels, but other than that I'm lost. I keep saying I'm going to try and learn it but I haven't.

Brookville, Pa.

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

I love Adobe Lightroom and highly recommended it... It's perfect for photographers. I can import 400 photos, choose the ones I want to keep by adding them to the Quick Collection library. I have presets that I created and purchased that I use to quickly edit the photos and then export them to a folder on my Desktop. I also use Photoshop CS3 for more difficult edits.

Photoshop Elements is also a great program and fairly simple to use. I use it to create simple page layouts for my photo albums as well as my sig picture.

Anne is offline Senior Member

I just noticed that Adobe offers a 30 day Lightroom trial. Not sure of the logistics, however...

From what I have read, Lightroom DOES seem like a good program, except that I (clearly) am not a professional, so I don't know if the feature of importing large numbers of photos at one time is a huge value to me. So, understanding this, would it be beneficial for me to use Lightroom in conjunction with Elements?

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    I'd go with PS Elements (by the way, the latest version is 6.0 and it's available at Costco for something like $40 after coupon).
    LOL! I guess the good ole University of Maine's pricing policies are a bit skewed, eh? Anything they can do to build the new ice hockey rink! ;D

Thanks for the advice, all. Some seem to think that Adobe will be releasing Elements 6.0 for Macs sometime in the first quarter. So, I think I will wait for that to happen, rather then picking up 4.0 now.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I just noticed that Adobe offers a 30 day Lightroom trial. Not sure of the logistics, however...

From what I have read, Lightroom DOES seem like a good program, except that I (clearly) am not a professional, so I don't know if the feature of importing large numbers of photos at one time is a huge value to me. So, understanding this, would it be beneficial for me to use Lightroom in conjunction with Elements?

I'd go with PS Elements (by the way, the latest version is 6.0 and it's available at Costco for something like $40 after coupon).
    LOL! I guess the good ole University of Maine's pricing policies are a bit skewed, eh? Anything they can do to build the new ice hockey rink! ;D

Thanks for the advice, all. Some seem to think that Adobe will be releasing Elements 6.0 for Macs sometime in the first quarter. So, I think I will wait for that to happen, rather then picking up 4.0 now.
    Regarding Lightroom -- I start with Lightroom first. I download directly into Lightroom. I color correct anything that needs it -- you can even have it memorize a correction and apply it to other photos. It will also let you do some spot and healing applications, although I personally find Lightroom more difficult for this. You can crop & straighten in Lightroom,too. If you need to take the photos to Elements, you just simply tell it to open up the selected photo in Elements and then you can do whatever you need to in Elements as well. The ability to adjust curves, saturation, as well as apply a variety of presets (B&W, sepia, etc) is top notch. It also allows you to set parameters to make photos web size, so you do not need to use Elements for that.

I would recommend you get the 30 day trial. I did that. Not sure about now, but at the time I did the trial, it was unrestricted (meaning no watermarks or locked up features).

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Is lightroom more like Corel Paint Shop Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by EMA
    Is lightroom more like Corel Paint Shop Pro?
    I thought Paint shop Pro was more like Photoshop Elements. But I'm not familiar with it, so I don't know.

Lightroom is really all about adjusting the lighting -- curves, color casts, white balance, etc. Terrific if you shoot in raw. You can download a free trial from the Adobe site. If you like it and want to purchase -- you might consider the education edition if you qualify ~ significantly less expensive. Think you can go through Adobe for that as well, or maybe even JourneyEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anne

Anne - A correction as I found the coupon. Costco shows it in their most recent coupon booklet -- available for $49.99 after a $30 coupon. I know you are waiting on Mac, but wanted to correct this if anyone else is interested. At any rate, I don't think $59 for software (about to be) two versions old is a good deal. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast