What is the best way to archive digital photos/videos?

View Poll Results: What is the best way to archive digital photos/videos?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • CD-R

0 0%
  • USB flash drive

1 12.50%
  • external hard drive

6 75.00%
  • other?

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to archive digital photos/videos?

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is the best way to archive digital photos/videos?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for the best (ie. least corruptible, best quality) way to archive my digital photos. Currently they are all on my laptop's hard drive, but I fear laptop failing (as my previous desktop did) and/or laptop theft.

So, I'd rather only keep recent pics on my laptop, and older pics on something else... the question is, which something else?

Thanks, in advance!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What is the best way to archive digital photos/videos?

I don't know if this is the best way, but I use an external hard drive. I don't keep it connected to my computer unless I am transferring pictures. My thinking is if something happens to my computer it won't take the external drive with it.

Brookville, Pa.

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Definitely external drives because they cheap and somewhat reliable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Linda! Thanks Jim!

I had heard that both CD-Rs and USB thumb drives have their limitations (corruptibility/degradation)... I would imagine that external hard drives wouldn't?

Are external hard drives Windows AND Mac compatible or is it one or the other?
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I had heard that both CD-Rs and USB thumb drives have their limitations (corruptibility/degradation)... I would imagine that external hard drives wouldn't?
    External hard drives fail just like any other hard drive... And they are not as durable as flash drives because they have moving parts.

Are external hard drives Windows AND Mac compatible or is it one or the other?
    I believe most are... I'm thinking about buying this one and it's compatible with both. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...rives.10112007

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

FWIW, I put all my photos on an external hard drive and now the thing won't work. I don't know what to do and now my pictures are stuck . I tried to call the manufacturer and that was pretty useless. They wanted me to send it to them which I don't want to do for fear of REALLY losing all my photos.

Now I've almost got my laptop AND my desktop filled up and have no idea what to do.

<br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

KLM - Will your external drive turn on? If so, have you tried using another USB cable?

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

It will turn on and you can hear the thing trying work but it just makes a funny "clicking" noise.
    <br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

Quote Originally Posted by KLM
    It will turn on and you can hear the thing trying work but it just makes a funny "clicking" noise.
    That's not good... Who's the manufacturer?

M Fortune is offline Senior Member

Sorry I'm a little late on this but I felt I could give some good advise. I am responsible for all of the backups for the printing company I work for so I have years of experience in the best archiving methods. And, I'm paranoid.

First thing you need to know and always remember is that there is no failsafe method!

Second thing you need to know and always remember is that there is no failsafe method!

I tell people this twice to get my next point across:

Back up everything TWICE.

Yes, CD's and DVD's can get corrupted. In my experience this happens very rarely and usually it's off-brand discs that are a problem. At work, I have discs that were burned 10 years ago that still work just fine. I feel that CD's and DVD's are the most affordable archiving method.

The only downside to discs is keeping up with what is on each one. That's where your organizational skills are important. You can also by a program like Retrospect (for Mac and PC) to do automated backups and keep track of what's on each disc. If you want more info on this program PM me.

USB drives are very limited in space and pretty expensive for the space you get. A DVD will hold 4.7 GB and you can get a 10 pack for around $15. One 4GB USB thumb drive is going to run you (I'm estimating) $50 or more. I also feel that they are not as reliable as discs. And, since the discs are much cheaper you can afford to burn two.

I have spent a lot of my time convincing people that external hard drives are the most unreliable backup method. They are like cars. No car, even with the best care, is going to last you forever. I have had friends of mine not take the advise and were sorry they didn't. External hard drives die and a lot of times without warning. They are great for convenience but, I wouldn't rely on them solely.

So, my suggestion for archiving is this:
    Do get an external hard drive for the convenience and keep files on that. But, make sure you burn those files to disc twice.

Hope you're not too confused,
    The Paranoid Archiver
    ~Heather<br /><br />&quot;This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top&quot;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast