Another dumb question...

Thread: Another dumb question...

harleydog1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother dumb question...

Ok so I go get this new camera a Rebel XTi, and I get a good lens, a Tamron 17-50 2.8 Di II. I took some shots and put them on Photobucket, and then tried to order some prints from Photobucket. After picking several to buy I get a warning that says they may be blurry because the DPI is to low. It said that the DPI was 80 and needed to be at least 100 for good prints. So what am I doing wrong? All the pics look good on the puter why can't I print them?

Thanks for any insight into this as I am sure I am doing something wrong.

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another dumb question...

David...Photobucket is down right now...maybe that has something to do with the problem?

Try again when the site comes back up.
    <br /><br />

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DPI (dots per inch) can be adjusted with whatever image editor (Photoshop etc) you're using.

Low resolution - 70dpi (small file size) good for websites
    High resolution - 300dpi (large file size) great for printing

So when you uploading your images to Photobucket, you want to use the highest resolution that they allow. The higher the resolution, the larger the file size.

Cropping will also reduce the resolution especially if you do it online. So, I normally crop for whatever size print I need with Photoshop before uploading.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

David, photos as they come out of your camera (no matter how many megapixels it is) are at a standard 72 dpi. You have to use editing software to increase the resolution to around 300 dpi for printing photos. What editing software are you using? Just follow the directions for increasing resolutions. It's easy. If you need help, let me know.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Thanks jimbo and Buddy's mom. I have the Photoshop elements free trial edition and tried to use it as well, it sat and thought about it for a good 2 hours before I killed it too. I guess I am not spose to print pics...

I'll keep trying..

Thanks

David

OK, go to your PhotoShop Elements. At the top, go to Image>Resize. In the box that comes up, you will see a box that says resolution. Whatever is there change it to 300 and click OK. Another way to do this is in the crop section. Upload the original file, using the crop tool, set the size you want and then put 300 in the resolution box. Either of these ways will give you a photo with a 300 dpi for printing. When you Save as, be sure to save at the maximum amount. Hope this helps.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    OK, go to your PhotoShop Elements. At the top, go to Image>Resize. In the box that comes up, you will see a box that says resolution. Whatever is there change it to 300 and click OK. Another way to do this is in the crop section. Upload the original file, using the crop tool, set the size you want and then put 300 in the resolution box. Either of these ways will give you a photo with a 300 dpi for printing. When you Save as, be sure to save at the maximum amount. Hope this helps.

Sure did, Thanks...

Glad I could help. This is also a great way to resize pictures in smaller resolutions for viewing on the web. A DPI of 72 is all that's required to produce great looking pics on a computer monitor screen. In the Image>Resize window, you can change whatever values that are there to around 600KB on the long side. The computer will generate the other value. With a value of around 600 KB on the long side and a resolution of 72 DPI, the pictures will load faster on the internet. This helps people on dial up.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie