Looking to upgrade my camera
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade my camera

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking to upgrade my camera

Anyone want to throw in their two cents on what camera I should get? I have had my rebel xt for 5 years. I'm looking at the new Canon T1i or the 50d. I almost have enough money for the T1i now, but would have to save another 6 months or so for the 50d. As far as lenses, I have the 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 17-55 f2.8 Is, and 50 mm f1.8. I hope to sell the xt with the kit lens, couple of batteries and cf card. If I sell it, I would have enough for the T1i now.

Brookville, Pa.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Here's a side by side comparison between the 50d and T1i:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s500d&show=all

The 50d is larger and better built, shoots at 6fps & shoots at higher ISO and shutter speeds. The T1i is basically the same camera but smaller. It's also approx $300 cheaper and shoots videos...

If you end up waiting, the 60d is supposedly rumored to be out late summer or early fall. I'm hoping it will have the same specs as the new Pentax K-7 that was announced in May and shipping in July.

The T1i has received great reviews and would definitely be an upgrade to your XT. But if you are shooting professionally, then IMO, I would wait and get the 50d or 60d if it comes out. You might even be able to to find a 40d for a great price on Craigslist.

Thanks Jimbo. The main reason I moved up from a point and shoot to the xt and some better glass is because I'm always being asked to take pictures of events at our church. Even on the brightest day the sanctuary is dark. But I'm not doing this professionally. I've had the XT for 5 years and it has served me well. I guess I question if I move up to a better camera should I get the better of the two. I haven't sold the XT yet, so I still have time to think this over, and at the rate I've been saving, a new model might be out by then!!

Also, do you think I'm asking too much for the XT w/ kit lens, $300? I have everything that came in the box plus a 1 gig cf card and two extra batteries.

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Hey Linda,

Monnie went from the Rebel to the 50D. She loves her new camera. Just letting you know what she went for.

I shoot Nikon, so I'm no help to you at all :P

After much thought, I went ahead and ordered the canon T1i. For what I use the camera for, I think it be all that I need. Thanks for everyone's 2 cents!

Brookville, Pa.

Congrats!!!

It came today! Hurry up battery!

Brookville, Pa.

Princess Zoe is offline Senior Member

I was just going to ask the eaxct same question! The guy at Best Buy told me the T1I isn't that much different than the XT I have. I can't decide what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Zoe View Post
    I was just going to ask the eaxct same question! The guy at Best Buy told me the T1I isn't that much different than the XT I have. I can't decide what I want.
    ETA - The guy at BB is an absolute moron... The T1i is a completely different camera in that it has a different processor Digic4 vs Digic2, a much better LCD, shoots 1080p HD video, has an excellent ISO range and shoots much better in low light.

FYI - The T1i is being replaced by the T2i... http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...noneos550d.asp

The T2i uses a lot of the technology that the 7D. One super sweet option is that you can set the shutter speed and aperture manually while shooting a video. This is great for when you're shooting in low light. But if HD video isn't something that your interested in, than the 50d is may be a better option. It's basically the same price as the T2i, a bit larger, and shoots at 6.3fps compared to 3.7 which is great for action shots.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-17-2010 at 03:03 PM.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Enjoy your new camera!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast