Digital Camera Battery Preferences??

Thread: Digital Camera Battery Preferences??

Luv4Lexie is offline Member

DefaultDigital Camera Battery Preferences??

I have searched this site (as well as others!) for answers to the age-old dilema of which camera to purchase. I have narrowed down my search to two very similar cameras. Now the big difference is the battery. I was wondering which battery option would allow less-frequent changes/charges, and about how many pics you can take between changes/charges??

Camera 1: Lithium ion rechargable battery (charger included with camera purchase)
    Camera 2: 4 AA alkaline batteries (included, not rechargable, no charger included)

Thanks in advance and sorry for another camera question, I see there have been many on here. And as a side note--a lot of you have some really amazing shots. I hope the camera I end up with will produce half as good of quality for me!
    My name is Lexie.&nbsp; <br />AKC, Field Line, 60 lbs, 24 in<br />DOB August 8, 2005<br />I love cuddlin with mommy, but now I have to share her with the baby....<br />(No longer an only child!&nbsp; My little sister was born June 9, 2008.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Digital Camera Battery Preferences??

In my opinion the rechargable batteries last a lot longer I'd go for that.

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Which camera's are you looking at? Have you read any reviews?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

I'd say you most definitely would want rechargeable batteries.

Yesterday we went hiking and in about 6 hours time I had went through one set of batteries and most of my second set. I zoom a lot and I take a LOT of pictures so I tend to go through them pretty quick. I have the Sony H5 and I love it. It takes 2 NiMH AA's. I have two sets of batteries that I alternate (and a third set on the way because our hiking trip at the end of the month is an overnighter and I don't want to risk running out!).

What are you looking for in a camera? What models are you considering? The website Jimbo recommended is a great reference - you can probably find there a little more battery specific reviews on the models you are looking at.
    <br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

Luv4Lexie is offline Member

Thanks for responding! This will be my first digital camera (I know, I know, "!!"), so I am honestly not entirely sure what I will need from it. I have read a bunch of reviews and looked at several different cameras. I know that I will want the feature that allows quick capture of moving objects (Labs love to move at the last second!) and at least 8 mp and I like the adjustable LCD viewer option but it isn't necessary.

I am choosing between the Canon Powershot A640 and the Nikon P5000. I think I would like to stick with one of these brands, but am open to other models. Like I said, these 2 are pretty similar except for the battery power. LiIon or AA.
    My name is Lexie.&nbsp; <br />AKC, Field Line, 60 lbs, 24 in<br />DOB August 8, 2005<br />I love cuddlin with mommy, but now I have to share her with the baby....<br />(No longer an only child!&nbsp; My little sister was born June 9, 2008.)

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Rechargeable AA's are a heck of lot cheaper to replace then Li-Ion's. The battery life on my Sony H5 sucks!!! But I use rechargeable AA batteries as well as a good charger.

nikita is offline Junior Member

I have the Canon Powershot A620 (as my purse cam) and I use the Energizer Rechargables as my camera model uses 4 AAs.

http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/

I think I get around 400 or more shots outta the camera before I have to recharge. Then again, I'm pretty good about turning the camera off and conserving on battery juice.