Questions about RAW processing in general

Thread: Questions about RAW processing in general

Emyly is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about RAW processing in general

I thought this thread might be good as we start to work with our own RAW pics

Jimbo,

When we convert an image from RAW to JPEG and save it, does the original RAW file stay unedited, or does it save as edited--and if it saves as edited, can we go back and edit later? I have some shots I took in RAW today and don't want to lose the original files when I convert. I have Digital Photo Professional.

By the way, thanks for the RAW lesson! I can tell that shooting in RAW will help me so much with photo first aid, especially since I am just getting the hang of manual settings. I had the day off today so I ran around taking flower pictures in the snow and then remembered to switch the camera over to RAW. I will work on those pics later this weekend once I know how to keep from losing the original file.

Thanks again for the great lesson!

~Em~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions about RAW processing in general

Quote Originally Posted by Emyly N Rio
    I thought this thread might be good as we start to work with our own RAW pics

Jimbo,

When we convert an image from RAW to JPEG and save it, does the original RAW file stay unedited, or does it save as edited--and if it saves as edited, can we go back and edit later? I have some shots I took in RAW today and don't want to lose the original files when I convert. I have Digital Photo Professional.
    Yes, they're stored in the folder where you downloaded them to on your PC from your camera.

RAW files can be re-edited over and over again. In DPP, You can click on reset button next to each adjustment tool function to go back to the original setting.

By the way, thanks for the RAW lesson! I can tell that shooting in RAW will help me so much with photo first aid, especially since I am just getting the hang of manual settings. I had the day off today so I ran around taking flower pictures in the snow and then remembered to switch the camera over to RAW. I will work on those pics later this weekend once I know how to keep from losing the original file.

Thanks again for the great lesson!
    You're welcome... For me, shooting RAW is a great insurance policy especially when I'm charging people for photography work. The processing workflow is time consuming but IMO worth it.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Jim, will RAW images right out of the camera always need to be edited? If you shoot with the proper settings on the camera, will the pictures be as sharp and vivid as if you had shot in JPEG. The reason I'm asking. I'm taking a course where I can do no post processing except to resize and sharpen after resizing. I'm going to take the pictues for this class today. Do I need to shot in RAW and JPEG or can I just shot in RAW?

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Shooting JPEGs with the correct settings on your camera will save time and IMO probably look just as good as processed RAW files. The sharpness of the image may also depend on the quality of your lens.

Shooting RAW + (L) JPEGs will give you both files to work with.

Shooting just RAW will require you to process and convert the images to JPEGs...

Here's an article that might be helpful....
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/raw-vs-jpeg/