A Study in Motion Blur

Thread: A Study in Motion Blur

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultA Study in Motion Blur

I think some of you are intimitated by this lesson. Since Linda's mom is in the hospital, I thought I'd give her a hand. Motion blur is not as hard as it appears. These shots were taken in our field. They are really over exaggerated, but I wanted to get plenty of motion.

There are two types of motion blur. In the one called panning, the subject is relatively in focus and the background is blurred. These are the great motorsports shots you see with the cars/bikes crystal clear and the background nothing but a blur. This depicts movement. The second type is just blurred motion where the background is sharp and the subject is just a blur. You need enough blur so it doesn't look like camera shake. But, not so much blur that you can't make out any of the subject. If you notice the 2nd picture of Buddy, you can make out his leg on the ground and the basic shape of his head.

All I did for these shots is sit Buddy in our field. I then moved up the field about 30 yards and sat so he would cross my path of vision. I threw the ball with the Chuck-it. In the first picture, I locked onto his body before he crossed my line of slight and followed his body with the camera until he was out of sight. I had the camera set on continuous
    shooting the whole time. Ideally, he should have been more in focus with the background blurred. I could have increased my shutterspeed to get him more infocus. I wanted to make sure the background was blurry. I had to use an aperture of f/18 to cut out enough light to use a slow SS.

ISO 100
    SS 1/40
    AV f/18

In this motion shot, I held the camera still like you would take a normal picture. Just before he crossed my path, I started continually taking pictures. Ideally, he should have been more in the frame, but it's hard when you're doing this type of motion to get it exact. Most of the shots he either wasn't in the frame at all, or it was just his head or tail. He was getting too hot and tired to try again.

ISO 100
    SS 1/30
    AV f/20

One of the easiest ways to do this is with cars. If you live on a street where cars pass every so often, sit outside and shoot the cars as they go by. Practice with different SS. Also practice panning and holding the camera still. It's a lot of fun. Feel free to ask any questions you need to.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Study in Motion Blur

Monnie, those are excellent. Love the first one, and the second one looks like a ghost

Thanks, Linda. You won't believe what lens I used. I had gone out to get some abstract shots for the Bi-weekly Challenge at the ZO. I had the 70-200mm WITH the TC on the camera. I couldn't get to the place I wanted to shoot because Walt was at the sawmill. I didn't want to be roped in to helping. I decided to see what I could do with the blurred motion.

BTW, how's your mom after the heart cath? I tried calling you, but your cell went straight to voice mail.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

The first picture is giving me motion sickness if I look at it too long :-\

Won't someone please feed me!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

If you don't use continuous shooting, and want to pan the object (dog, car, etc.) how do you pan when you can't see the subject in the viewfinder because the shutter is closed? ???
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Not sure I understand the question. If you don't shoot in continuous mode, you have to press the shutter halfway and follow the subject until they are were you want them and then fully depress the shutter. It is much harder to get a good shot this way. I'm not sure why you think the shutter would keep you from seeing the subject.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Not sure I understand the question. If you don't shoot in continuous mode, you have to press the shutter halfway and follow the subject until they are were you want them and then fully depress the shutter. It is much harder to get a good shot this way. I'm not sure why you think the shutter would keep you from seeing the subject.
    ah...I see. I was pressing the shutter all the way down, and then following Zoe. It didn't work. because all I saw was black in the viewfinder. LOL :-\

I'm going to keep experimenting w/this assignment. Thanks Monnie!
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[