Resolution Question

Thread: Resolution Question

lablover is offline Senior Member

DefaultResolution Question

Maybe we have gone over this ... if so I don't remember. What resolution should we be using. I have
    (L) 2592 x 1944
    (M1) 2048 x 1536
    ((M2) 1600 x 1200
    (S) 640 x 480

Does Resolution make a different in print size?

I also have compression.
    (S) Superfine ... Shoot higher quality images
    (F) Fine ... Shoot normal quality images
    (N) Normal ... Shoot more images

Right now I have the camera set on 2592 x 1944 with a fine compression. Is that where I should be?

One more question. I tried to print two pictures that I have taken the the past couple weeks and they will not fit on a 4x6 photo with out cutting some part of the picture off. Is that where I need to go into a editing program and make it a size to fit. I know to always safe the original with out any changes so I can go back to that pictures if I need. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Resolution Question

I am not good with the technical stuff, I'm more the artistic voice. But I do know that if you want to print something out at a large size (say poster size) you need the highest resolution you can get and the finest setting you can get out of your camera.

On my camera I shoot at the highest resolution available. But I shoot at the middle format (I can choose from basic, normal, fine... I use normal because I get more pictures on my card that way and I haven't seen that much difference in output.. I have printed some pictures fairly large, one 2 x 3 feet and it is good quality).

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sue, you should use the highest quality, highest resolution that you can. The higher the resolutions the better the print quality. Yes, I would go into an editing program and crop to 4x6 before printing. Although, the camera is shooting at a ratio of 2x3. A 4x6 print is in a 2x3 ratio. Are you printing these yourself or having someone print them? If you're having someone print them, it could be their printing process that crops off that part of your picture.

If the # of photo on a card is a problem you can shoot in a lower quality like Raian says. I just always shoot at the highest. With a 2 GB card, # of prints isn't a problem.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

I use the highest quality possible but I also have a 8gb and 4gb CF card... I also like to leave enough room for cropping.
    But if your printing, this is typically the resolution you'll need for the following:

4 x 6: Your image needs to be at least 1024 x 768
    5 x 7: " " " 1152 x 864
    8 x 10: " " " 1250 x 1000

I am printing them here at home ... I have two photo printers and these were just to send to my parents. The one was my signature picture. It wants to cut Fudge's head off. I think I will see what I can do to edit the size.

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

If you're using a PC, then Microsoft Office Picture Manager is a good program to use to quickly format the picture size.

What editing program are you using? I use PhotoShop Elements. It does a great job of getting the sizes right for printing. Walk me through the steps you use to get the size print you want. Maybe I can spot the problem.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others, a good deal of it depends on the editing program you are using. I use Paint Shop Pro. All I have to do is click the printer button and then I can click on the size I want printed and it will fit the photo to that size automatically... never chopping off anything

For editing I have:
    Adobe Photoshop 7.0
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0
    Microsoft Digital Image Suite Anniversary Edition

Have had Photoshop 7.0 the longest ... was given 3.0 to see if it was any easer. I ended up buying the Microsoft Digital Image about 2 months ago. I like it but I am just learning it. The pictures look the best (on the computer) in the Microsoft Suite.

I will try tomorrow to see what I can do with editing so it will fit a 4 x 6. I was just way to busy today to look into it. (Husband found out today he has pneumonia)

Sorry about your husband. I hope he gets well soon.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie