Assignment #8 CRITIQUE here.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assignment #8 CRITIQUE here.....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAssignment #8 CRITIQUE here.....

Raian – I really like this shot, but I cut it too close to his ear. Oh well :P

Georgie – Good focus, good light, nice expression. I wish you had gotten
    more of her shoulder. But this is one of your better shots. (Nice nails too)

Linda1 – I don’t mind the shadow and probably would have minded it less
    if you hadn’t said something This is nice. Very good portrait, lovely
    expression and focus. The only way to get rid of the shadow is to use
    more lights positioned to the rear of him, or set him up near a window
    for some natural light. Great job on this one.

Emma The Lab – Excellent. I really can’t find fault with this. You have
    done a nice job, left enough room around the dog, got a lovely expression
    and sharply focused eyes. Nice natural light and setting. Bravo.

Labz4Me – you could have left a bit more room on either side of the dogs
    head. Also, the angle of the head in relation to the neck/shoulder makes
    the dog seem really out of proportion. Cute expression though and good
    focus on the eyes.

TheBigRaloo – A couple of things working against you here. First, you’ve
    cropped to close on the top. And, the lighting is off making his skin tone
    much too red. I do like the pose. The composition is good (but I’d clone out
    The ladies head in the background).

Gingersdad – I really like that you’ve used the dark cloth behind your dog, it
    makes this portrait pop. Overall the image is a bit too soft (needs to be focused
    a bit sharper). Nice light, nice composition. Just my personal preference, but
    I’d like to see a wee bit more contrast on the dog (we’ll get into that in post
    processing stuff in the future .

Emily N Rio – Good job. Could be closer to the subject though. Would like to be able
    to see the detail/focus around the eyes clearer. Your composition is nice, I like that you
    included the bit of weed in the foreground and the background isn’t busy, but very
    natural. Nice exposure.

Merlin – excellent shot. Very nicely exposed and focused around the face/eyes. The
    only problem I have with this is the angle you shot from. I’d rather have seen straight
    back to the background, than down to the cement ground. Get on your dog’s level so you are not shooting down. Good portrait!

AbbyandMolly – nice job. Cropped a tad too tight (leave a little more room around the head. You do have nice light on this for being an inside shot. It’s a tad soft though (could be sharper focus). Overall a good job.

Gatorblueyes – Nice effort on this. The exposure is spot on, good job! I like the background setting you’ve chosen. I am not wild about the way you positioned the
    Dog as it makes his neck look very long and too thin, which makes his head appear too large. Even if he has a long, thin neck you can position him to downplay that. All in all though this is a good portrait.

Lablover – I love this. I can find no fault with it. Beautiful.

Zoesmom – good use of the sheet behind your dog. Nice light for indoor shot. Zoes head appears a bit distorted however. I think if you have stepped back just a touch and gotten a bit more room around her head, and gotten her expression up (say COOKIE!”) it would have helped. She looks like you beat her Good portrait orientation.

Jimbo – this is really sweet. I love the exposure. The skin tones are right on. The composition is darling, and the kids are precious. Good job.

Ownlabnjrt – Lovely. The only thing I think would have improved it would have been to get a bit more of her shoulder so the portrait were more… portrait oriented. This looks pretty square instead of rectangular. Awesome focus, nice Depth of Field. Good job.

Chocco_23 – nice job. Lovely expression. Good exposure. Composition could be improved by moving to the dog’s left a bit eliminating some of the road/pavement and showing more of the grassy background. Also, not sure this is portrait orientation as it is too square (not rectangular). But a very nice job.

Anne – this is pretty. Overall it’s on the soft side (needs tweaked with sharpness). Obviously it’s an indoor shot which is why it has a bit of a yellow cast to it. Using your flash might have helped with the color, or changing your white balance setting (not sure what you had it on). Lovely expression.

Mattgusmum – Blue is lovely. I guess, technically, this works for a portrait. You have a nice expression and good focus on his eyes. Could have had a bit more light on him. Good to see that you got down on the dog’s level. Nice shooting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gatorblueyes is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Assignment #8 CRITIQUE here.....

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Gatorblueyes – Nice effort on this. The exposure is spot on, good job! I like the background setting you’ve chosen. I am not wild about the way you positioned the
    Dog as it makes his neck look very long and too thin, which makes his head appear too large. Even if he has a long, thin neck you can position him to downplay that. All in all though this is a good portrait.
    But SHE is long and skinny! But I understand LOL.
    <br /><br />...doted on by Andrea...

SHE... I'm sorry

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What should I be doing to postition her differently?

I would try shooting her straight on to minimize the length of her muzzle and tie her head into her neck a bit more. And step back a step or two so you don't get distortion from being too close to her. How old is she?

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Everyone did a great job with the portraits. I think you understand the concept. Remember that portraits are photos that are taken as a head shot of the subject. They are usually done this way and hung up somewhere. They should be in portrait orientation unless there are more than 3 subjects. When you crop a portrait, try to keep the proportions of long sides to short top and bottom. If cropping in an editing program, use the 4x6 crop dimensions. This will keep you from getting it too square. It will also give you good portrait oriented dimensions. You can also use 5x7 or 8x10.
    One thing I found out the hard way. I had a great portrait that I did of my daughter, Elizabeth. I cropped it without using preset dimensions. It was so good I wanted to frame it. Of course, I had accidentally saved it over the original. I couldn't print it out in a standard size to put in a frame. When I tried to recrop it to 4x6 dimensions, I ended up being too tight around her head. Two things I learned the hard way: 1) Always save as. This retains the original if you need to go back and start over; 2) If you think you will frame a picture, crop it to specific frameable dimensions. I think this is what is happening to the couple of you that said Shutterfly recropped your pictures.

Critique of Lesson #8 – Portraits

Raian - This is a wonderful portrait of Ruger. The composition is right on and the exposure is wonderful. I wish you hadn’t cut off his ear on the right. I would have left a little more room on that side of the picture.

Georgie - This is a portrait in the broad sense of the term. I would have preferred to see her head up, but, that’s just me. The focus is good. I would like to have seen a little more room in front of her. My eyes want to follow her eyes off the page.

Linda1 – This is a great shot. You’ve done a very nice job on this portrait. You might have tried lowering the aperture to around f/2. This would have raised your shutter speed. Because of the lower aperture, you would have gotten a blurred background. This might have diffused the shadow. With a solid, light background like this, you might think you don’t need a shallow DOF. Blurring the background would have made the edges of the shadow less noticeable.

Emma the Lab – I love this shot of Emma. I would like to see you crop it down a little more to get rid of some of the space above her head. There’s just a little to much space above her. Watch that you don’t crop too close to her sides. Well done.

Labz4Me – If you cropped this, I would go back and leave a little more around the sides. You might also crop a little off the bottom. There’s just a little too much shoulder visible. If you shot it like this, try to step back a little and leave some more room around the sides. The picture is very good. The positioning and exposure are right on. With it this narrow, it gives her a pinched look.

TheBigRaloo – This is a great shot. I wish you had left a little more room above his head. The DOF is very good. Try cloning out the lady behind the boy. The light is too harsh on his face. Watch how the light falls on your subject. I would have tried different angles to get a softer light on his face.

Gingersdad – Nice portrait. I like the backdrop. The white balance is off giving him a yellow cast. It’s also a bit soft. I like the use of the 1-2-3 rule. I would not get quite so much of the shoulder. You want the head to take up more room in the frame than the shoulders. Good job.

Emyly N Rio – Nice job. Try getting closer to your subject in a portrait. This is very good otherwise. I love the positioning of the horse in the frame. Good work.

Merlin - Great job on this shot. You’ve moved in close and captured the eyes well. I might have tried getting just a tad lower. You’re looking down on him just a little.

AbbyandMolly – This is a very nice shot. You’ve had to use a slow SS. You might be getting a little camera shake. I think the exposure is really good. If you had moved about 3-4 steps to your right, she would have turned her head in that direction. This would have gotten rid to the straight on shot. It would also have gotten rid of the clutter in the back ground. I would also have left just a little more room around her head. Very well done.

Gatorblueyes – Very nice shot. I love the background. He has a very long neck. You want to not include so much of it. This is going to be hard to zoom in to get rid of so much neck and still keep good distance around his head. Play with this a little. The exposure is perfect. I love the light on his face.

Lablover – This is a perfect shot. There’s nothing else to say. The exposure, focus and positioning couldn’t be better.

Zoesmom – Good job. I would have backed up a little and left some more room around her head. This gives her a distorted appearance. Try to get her to look up. She doesn’t have to look directly at you, but she shouldn’t be looking down. It gives her a hang dog look.

Jimbo - This is a perfect picture. I love it. What great kids. If I was going to nit-pic this shot, I would have liked a shallower DOF. The house in the background is a little distracting. I hope they frame it and hang it somewhere. It’s a great picture.

Ownlabnjrt – I love this shot. The lighting is perfect. I might have taken one step backwards to get it a little less square. Great job.

Chocco_23 – Nice job. The lighting and focus are great. Next time take a couple steps in either direction. The dog needs to be looking in either direction, not straight forward.

Anne – this is a lovely shot. I like the softness of it. Portaits, especially of children, are sometimes intentionally a little soft. This gives a more romantic look to the shot. You might want to take just a little off the top and bottom. Great use of the 1-2-3 rule.

Mattgusmum – This is an informal portrait. You’ve done a great job of capturing Blue’s eyes. I would have liked to see you step back just a step or two and get a little more room around him. I would frame this and hang it up.

CaliforniaLabLover - This is a nice shot. The positioning is great. I would crop the top down to just above her head. It is too dark. It needs a levels adjustment. I saw this in the outtakes section before I saw this. I tweaked it a little and repost in that section. See what you think of it.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Gatorblueyes – Very nice shot. I love the background. He has a very long neck. You want to not include so much of it. This is going to be hard to zoom in to get rid of so much neck and still keep good distance around his head. Play with this a little. The exposure is perfect. I love the light on his face.
    My poor little girl keeps getting mistaken for a boy :'( Thank you...I am used to her long skinniness so it is important for me to pay more attention to this.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I would try shooting her straight on to minimize the length of her muzzle and tie her head into her neck a bit more. And step back a step or two so you don't get distortion from being too close to her. How old is she?
    Gotcha...

She is going to be 4 years old in a few weeks.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I guess we just think of HER name as Gator. This sounds like a boys name. Sorry.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    I guess we just think of HER name as Gator. This sounds like a boys name. Sorry.
    Oh...lol...I am gatorblueyes...she is jubilee I may try to take more pics this week to try to change the look of her neck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast