ASSIGNMENT #9 -- Motion Blur

Thread: ASSIGNMENT #9 -- Motion Blur

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultASSIGNMENT #9 -- Motion Blur

Motion Blur

We learned in an earlier lesson how to get a stop motion shot, by using fast shutter speeds. In this lesson
    we will learn how to do a Motion Blur effect. A lot of sports shots are done with motion blur to give speed
    and power to the subject. Motion Blur also is used frequently in artistic shots to enhance subjects such as water. It's your choice what subject you want to shoot, but the goal of this lesson is to get "Motion Blur".

So, how to you get Motion Blur? Well, there are two types of motion blur. The first is Subject Blur. This is where you would hold the camera steady while using a slow shutter speed and while the subject is moving. Look at the water shot below. This is a "Subject Blur" shot, as are the Highway shot and the bird shot. Since you will be using slow shutter speeds to obtain this type of shot, it's best to set your camera on something, a tripod or even the ground will work. You will also get better results if you use the self timer to take thes hot, that way your finger depressing the shutter will not jar the camera.

The second type of Motion Blur is Background Blur (or panning). This technique is a bit tricker as you want to use a slow shutter speed but you will physically move the camera with the moving subject to get the background blurred. If you are shooting something high speed, such as a race car or motorcycle, you can use a higher shutter speed as the speed of your object will compensate for the movement. So if it's something highspeed, use a high shutter speed, maybe start around 500, and move the camera with the subject (pan) to get the blurred background.

Those of you with Point And Shoot type cameras may do better by trying the panning technique. But if you are able to set your shutter speed, try either technique to see what you can achieve.

Your assignment will be due next Tuesday, March 27. Please post one shot depicting either of the blur techniques above. Good luck, and have fun shooting!

I did not shoot the following photos but borrowed them from the internet. There were no
    copyright or linkback to give credit too... but I am giving credit to their respective
    photographers here I just haven't had time to shoot anything this week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chocco_23 Guest

DefaultRe: ASSIGNMENT #9 -- Motion Blur

I have a shoot and point camera, you suggested trying the background blurr as it may be easier with a my camera. What setting on my camera should i use, sport, auto?? Also, i am a little confused, how will moving the camera with the subject blurr the background but keep the subject in focus? It may be me having a dumb moment lol. :-\

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Do you have any control over shutter speed? I don't really know which setting to tell you. Try a couple of them to see what kind of effect you get.

By panning along with a moving subject, you will cause the background (which is not moving) to blur. There's really no magic in it. Put your arm out with your hand, palm facing toward you. Move your arm/hand up and down but keep your eyes still. Your hand blurs with the motion. Now do the same thing but move your eyes with your hand and you'll notice you can pretty much keep your hand in focus, but the background beyond your hand blurs. It works the same way through the lens

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I would shoot in Auto (green rectangle). You can force the camera to use a slow shutter speed by shooting in lower light situations. Try shooting in the shade or early in the morning/later in the day. If you get a cloudy day, the camera will use a slower shutter speed.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

chocco_23 Guest

OK then thank you for the advice. What letter do they normally use to change the shutter speed because i might have it. Is a higher number a faster shutter speed and a lower number a slower SS??

Also, i would like to take the chance in thanking you for this great photography course, i have loved every minute of it and have improved dramatically (i think lol). When i look back at photos i have taken before, i look and see what is wrong with them. So, thankyou very much!! ;D

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

The letter should be S or TV depending on what camera you have. Yes, a higher # is a faster SS and vica-versa.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

chocco_23 Guest

yes i have an 'S' so i will try it with that, thanks