Assignment #8 - Portraiture (Edited to add...)

Thread: Assignment #8 - Portraiture (Edited to add...)

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAssignment #8 - Portraiture (Edited to add...)

This week we've going to take a look at taking portraits. What is a portrait. Normally a portrait is a head shot of a person or animal from the shoulders to the top of the head. The subject should fill the frame of your shot. Although you want to take the shot from the shoulders up, you don't want to shot straight on. It is ALWAYS more interesting to take portraits from different angles. Remember we talked about the 1-2-3 Rule of Portraits in an earlier lesson. Somethings NOT to do are: 1) Don't shot from below your subject. Nothing is worse than shooting up someone's nose.; 2) Try to shoot slightly down on a person to avoid a double chin.; 3) Watch shooting in harsh sunlight. You don't want glare in your subject face or having them squint; 4) Mornings or evenings are the best light for portraits; 5) Full shade can give very flat results to your photos. Try fill flash in shade.

When shooting a portrait, you want to be sure to get a nice blurred background. The best way to do this is to shoot at around 85mm focal length. On most dSLRs with a 1.6 or 1.5 magnification ratio, this is around 50mm. This will give a nice blurred background. Move back from your subject just so they completely fill the frame with just a little room around the subject. Have your subject about 10 feet from a solid background such as a wall.

If you own a 50mm lens, this is the best lens to use for portraits.

This week your assignment is to shot a portait of someone (human or animal). Watch your exposure. Also, watch your backgrounds. Portrait backgrounds should be very uncluttered.

EDIT: Remember that portraits are taken in portrait orientation when they only have 1-2 subjects. With 3 subjects it can be either way. When there are more than 3 subjects you can use landscape orientation. If you only have one subject, I want you to shoot in portrait orientation.

I'm going to post a couple pictures of what is and isn't a portrait.

This is a portrait.

This is not a portrait.

This is a portrait.

This is not a portrait.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Assignment #8 - Portraiture

Thanks Monnie. This looks like another fun lesson. I have the perfect little guy to shoot for it too

gatorblueyes is offline Senior Member

I missed the perspective assignment...this one will be fun too though!
    <br /><br />...doted on by Andrea...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Does this assignment need to be done in manual mode?
    I don't have a human model; the model will probably be Zoe.
    If I can't get her to sit still, it'll be quite difficult, unless if you have helpful hints.

thanks
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Anne is offline Senior Member

2) Try to shoot slightly down on a person to avoid a double chin.
    Someone needs to tell this to my husband. :

Monnie, you mentioned lighting. No harsh lighting, yet staying away from shaded areas. So, here's my question: Traditionally, is portraiture an inside, or outside thing. Both??

Thanks!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

The best way to do this is to shoot at around 85mm focal length. On most dSLRs with a 1.6 or 1.5 magnification ratio, this is around 50mm.
    This has me lost. I don't really understand the whole focal length mm thing. Was this already discussed earlier? Did I miss it? ???
    <br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

Linda, I would prefer you used manual, but I'll leave it up to you.
    Annie, Portraits can be taken either indoor or outdoors. Harsh light is not flattering. Shade tends to make the subject look flat. Fill flash will give a modeling effect. Hey, there's one that I don't mind if you use flash. LOL

KLM, the focal length of a lens is the distance to the subject when looking through the viewfinder. It is listed on the side of the lens as something like 70-200mm, 50mm. Digital SLRs are differents from film cameras because most of the sensors will not record the whole picture as seen through the viewfinder. They will crop the center area. Because of this the resulting picture is enlarged by a certain factor. In most Canon cameras, including all the Rebels, the mulitiplication factor is 1.6. In most of the Nikons, it's 1.5. So on a 70-200mm zoom the actually distance is 70 x 1.6 = 112mm at the wide end, and 200 x 1.6 = 320mm at the long end. This is for a Canon camera. This is great for distance shots. It can be very limiting for wide angle shots. In the old film days, it was a general rule of thumb that the 50mm lens most closely represented what the eye saw. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need it explained more.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Assignment #8 - Portraiture (Edited to add...)

Oh darn it. I hate holding my camera in the portrait position. I'm a real landscape orientation person... but for you, Dear Monnie, I will strive to push that envelope and shoot in portrait orientation.

DefaultRe: Assignment #8 - Portraiture (Edited to add...)

Good for you. Think out of the box. This is to be a portait. What you take in landscape orientation are not portraits. They're close, but no cigar. Thank you, I feel so special. LOL

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie