Critique for Lesson #6 - Exposure

Thread: Critique for Lesson #6 - Exposure

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCritique for Lesson #6 - Exposure

Iím very proud of everybody this week. Your exposure is all very good. You did a really good job with these pictures. Some of you forgot some of your composition lessons. Remember it takes good exposure and good composition to make a good photo.

Georgie Ė Very nice exposure. There is plenty of detail in the black area. You could have lowered you aperture one or two stops to get shallower DOF. Thatís a matter of preference, though. That is a nice background for the dog. A ĺ head shot would make a more pleasing photo.

Zoesmom Ė Nice job. I think I would have raised the shutter speed at least one stop to try to bring more detail out of the lower petal. You could have lowered the aperture for a shallower DOF, too.

Emyly N Rio Ė Good exposure. Itís hard with white flowers to get good detail in the petals. I think I would lowered the aperture so you could have used a higher shutter speed. The picture is a little soft. Itís probably from the slow shutter speed.

KLM Ė Very good job. You used a shallow aperture and a fast shutter speed. This caught the tongue action and kept it sharp. Notice how you caught the 1-2-3 portrait position perfectly. The dogís body is straight ahead, the head it turned 3/4s, and the eyes are looking to the side. Well done.

Linda1 Ė Very good job. If you look at the histogram, you havenít blown out the snow, and neither is the sky. The peaks are not touching the side of the graph. They are close, and this is ok. Well done.

Ownlabnjrt Ė Well done. This is a great shot. You did well not blowing out the white on the dog. You canít help but look out the door trying to figure out what heís looking at.

Lablover Ė Good job. You had to use a slow shutter speed to get this without flash. Did you use a tripod or stabilize it in anyway? The composition is very good. Next time step out just a bit and get all the flowers or even better, move the outer plant is toward the center plant some. Donít have as much open space between them. Also, remove the tag stick from the Amaryllis.

Azlab Ė Great job with a P&S. Next time use the Macro (flower icon) mode. This is a beautiful Hydrangea. What is it called? I like the little white flowers. The colors really do pop on this. Well done.

Choco_23 Ė This is a very good for a P&S. You used the right mode to shoot in. You wouldnít want to use Portrait for a landscape. I like the trees and the mist, too. Composition wise, I would have used the left edge of the road for the right side of the shot. This would have put the trees off center. Instead of trying to get both the road and the stream in the picture, I would have picked one or the other and used it to lead the observer into the picture. Good job on exposure.

Gingersdad Ė Excellent job on the exposure. This is very nice. I would have off set the acorn in the center. I would have cropped about halfway into the open area to the right of the acorn.

Emma the Lab Ė Excellent job on exposure. I love the pose, too. The ĺ head shot works so well. Well done.

Mattgusmom Ė The exposure is very good for an inside shot. If this is growing in your bathroom, I donít want to know what it is. LOL It reminds me of a Science Fair Project gone wrong. Well done.

Aim Ė WOW I love this shot. It is a great picture of your daughter. The exposure and composition is great. I might crop just a little off the right side to move her off center. The blue/black coloring is a little distracting.

Labz4me Ė Good job. I like this. The catch lights in her eyes are really good. The composition is very nice.

Jimbo Ė The exposure is great on this. Well done. You need to use Photoshop to corrected the distortion on the building from the wide angle lens. Iím sure these building arenít leaning like that in real life. Where is this taken? I feel sure this isnít Paris. LOL

Anne Ė Great exposure and DOF. Three lashes with a wet noodle for centering this beautiful flower. LOL I find the lighter areas on the left side distracting. Watch your composition.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Critique for Lesson #6 - Exposure

Jimbo Ė The exposure is great on this. Well done. You need to use Photoshop to corrected the distortion on the building from the wide angle lens. Iím sure these building arenít leaning like that in real life. Where is this taken? I feel sure this isnít Paris. LOL
    Vegas - a couple of weekends ago...

Vegas, that would have been my guess.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, some of you are getting really, really good. And I mean that! I've enjoyed the photos you've posted for this lesson. Nice work everyone...

georgie -- nice exposure on this one. I would have liked to see the dogs face better and agree that a 3/4 turn of the head would have made this an exceptional shot. The photo does have a bit of a yellow cast to it (the entire photo seems somewhat yellow to me). This can be easily corrected with levels in your photoshop but I know we said not to do that

zoesmom -- a decent try at this one. The lower petal is blown out. I think you possibly could have shot this at 1/200 and gotten that lower petal exposed well. But honestly, this is a nice attempt. Love the DOF you achieved on this as well.

Emyly N Rio -- Excellent exposure. It's so hard to photography anything white. You've really done a great job on this one!

KLM -- very nice exposure on a black dog! I also love the expression you captured. The composition is nice and your DOF works really well. Excellent work.

Linda1 -- I love it. I'm a sucker for old barns. Exposure on the barn is excellent. Snow is a tad blown out, especially in the foreground. I'd just crop this and take off about two inches of the foreground and then I'd frame this and hang it on my wall. Nice job.

ownlabnjrt -- very nice exposure on the dog from the window. I don't like the composition, too much going on that distracts from the dog. You still need to remember to get on the same level as your dog when you shoot photos of dogs, it makes a tremendous difference You nailed the exposure though, and that was the exercise.

lablover -- nailed the exposure. It's lovely. My only nit with this is that you've chopped off part of both plants to the right and left. I'd have stepped back a step to have included them OR stepped closer to really focus on the arranged plant in the center. Excellent job.

azlab -- nice job on this. The exposure is good. It could be better, but you've done it well enough. The color is a bit soft. I personally like much more saturation (bolder color) but thats my personal preference and I can't really fault you (just pointing it out). Focus is a tad soft as well, I would really like to see detail on those little flowers at this focal length. You got the exposure, and that's what it's all about

chocco_23 -- excellent exposure. It honestly could not have been shot better. Composition is lacking though. The trees are too centered in the frame. It would have been so much more effective to have offset them to the side a bit. Great job!

gingersdad -- excellent exposure. It looks like it must've been a cloudy day and you've really used your shutter speed and aperature well. I don't like the composition though. There is no real focal point of this photo. My eye just wanders around

Emma the Lab -- love the exposure here, and setting her against the grasses is wonderful. The overall image is a tad soft... the part of the photo that appears in focus to me is the grass to the middle right of the photo and her right shoulder. You might check to be sure your camera is not set to focus for that particular area. It might be. Good job.

mattgusmum -- Exposure is okay. I can tell it was an indoor shot. It has that yellow incandescent bulb look to it My real thought is... what is it??? I hope this is not some kind of fungal gunk growing in your bathroom!!!

Aim -- excellent! I love the softness you've acheived here with light. The catch-light in her eyes is wonderful. Although she is "centered" in the frame, I don't care, it's just too well done to pick at it. A keeper for sure!

Labz4Me -- did your flash fire? You have blown out portions of her fur (I think the flash went off). It's a bit over-exposed on the top of her head and her angle-wing stripe, and on her toe nearest the edge of the photo. Not sure with a P&S how you could have avoided this.

Jimbo -- excellent exposure. Love that you got the moon in there as well. I agree with Monnie that the distortion on the buildings bothers me. I know some lenses do that.

Anne -- wonderful exposure on that white flower! Great DOF. Composition needs some work... one flower in the center of the picture is a bit... boring But this was on exposure, and you passed with flying colors. Good job.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Now you have to tell me how to correct the yellow cast. Why is it there?

The white balance if off a little. Probably reflecting off the yellowness of the wood. Most editing programs have a place to correct white balance under color. What program do you use?

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements.

OK, good. Open Elements. Go to Enhance - Adjust Color - Remove Color Cast. When you have Remove Color Cast open, the pointer will turn into an eyedropper. Click the eyedropper on something white, gray, or black. PSE will automatically adjust the color. If you don't like how it changes the picture, click reset, and pick someplace else. I like clicking on something white, if there's anything white in the picture.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie