Action Pictures - Help Needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Pictures - Help Needed

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultAction Pictures - Help Needed

Rock and I have joined a flyball (as green dogs). I'm trying to get shots of the club dogs in action for the website. But i'm having a horrible time.

I have a Nikon D70 with just the basic lens (regular kit) 18-70mm 1:3.5-1.5G
    The lighting conditions are horrible (indoor; low light). THe jumps are white which seems to cause problems with my WB

This is what I hope to try next practice (settings) - does it sound right?
    Setting on S (to choose shutterpeed) and go as fast as I can while still letting enough light in to fill the shot
    ISO 800 (should I/Could I go higher? I hear it's bad to go too high)
    Fstop: ???

I am working on the moving focus; any tips? Where you half click on the object and then follow it into position (or is that not how it works?)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Oh and tips on what equipment would help (extra flash, better lense...) would be welcomed
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Action Pictures - Help Needed

In this instance I think I would use the automatic settings on your camera. I would use the sports mode. What kind of lightening is in the building? I would use the onboard flash if it's allowed. This is something you're going to have to play with to see what is best. As for WB, I have to know what kind of indoor lighting they use.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

shelbyct is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Rock and I have joined a flyball (as green dogs). I'm trying to get shots of the club dogs in action for the website. But i'm having a horrible time.

I have a Nikon D70 with just the basic lens (regular kit) 18-70mm 1:3.5-1.5G
    The lighting conditions are horrible (indoor; low light). THe jumps are white which seems to cause problems with my WB

This is what I hope to try next practice (settings) - does it sound right?
    Setting on S (to choose shutterpeed) and go as fast as I can while still letting enough light in to fill the shot
    ISO 800 (should I/Could I go higher? I hear it's bad to go too high)
    Fstop: ???

I am working on the moving focus; any tips? Where you half click on the object and then follow it into position (or is that not how it works?)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Oh and tips on what equipment would help (extra flash, better lense...) would be welcomed
    Tanya, most indoor events like AKC agility trials and canine freestyle events that I have been asked to photograph do not allow flash. To tell you the truth, most photographers will not take on these events because of the poor lighting at these venues. What I do is to set the ISO first, play around with the shutter speed trying to get a high enough shutter speed at the correct exposure to stop the action. If I can't get a high shutter speed then I bump the ISO up again and I continue to do this. The problem in doing this is like you say.... NOISE. In indoor events there is no way getting around the noise unless you can use a flash... and I'm talking a mounted flash. The last indoor event I photographed I had to use an ISO of 1600 and the noise was so bad I had a disclaimer saying no prints will be made over a 5X7 print and I used a noise cancelling program too, named Noise Ninja.

I use a Canon 20D with AI Servo and a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS lens for all my performance events that I photograph. As for WB, if you shoot RAW fill the screen up with a white card and then use that as a custom WB and then process that white balance with your RAW converter.

Hope this helps, but I'm a little rushed right now as I'm about to leave from work.

Carol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

I realize it's abit of a mission impossible; especially since I'm a rooky Since we're just practicing I'm allowed to use flash (unless it bothers the dogs; some dogs I don't pose because of this).

What drives the size of your opening (fstop is it?) the lense or the camera?

The lens. Each lens has a minimum aperture. Some are as low as f/1.8. Others are as high as f/5.6 or more.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

thanks! that's what i thought; my current one doesn't go all that low (just a regular lense)

great - something else to keep in mind when I buy lenses! LOL! so many factors to consider - and so expensive!

Marley is offline Member

Just keep trying different settings to get the lighting down.
    Also, try adjusting your metering mode as it can make quite a difference sometimes. The other thing to consider is the color of the dog you're shooting. Darker dogs are going to require a lower shutter speed than a lighter colored dog to expose them correctly.

The best thing in the world for motion shots is practice. Turn at your waist and follow through. Practice with cars since they are always moving. Subjects that are completely perpindicular to you in movement will always be sharper and easier to pan the camera with. Also, consider your aperture when doing this. The lower the number the less of the image is going to be in focus. Noise is going to be an issue with anything over 600 iso (depending on what you'll be doing with the images) so be prepared for it. Its part of digital photography. Check into some noise-reduction software like noise ninja or neat image (i love neat image).

White balance can be tricky and if you shoot in RAW format you may be able to adjust it easier in post-processing software like rawshooter or something of that nature. I think you should work on exposure first though before you worry about white balance.

Sounds like quite a complicated shooting location so dont be afraid to try new things with your camera. who knows, they might work!
    Good luck and post up some of your shots so we can see how they come out

Thanks! i will definately re-read your post a few times to be sure i understand

Yes - the ones where I was head on are easier. But then I get glowing eyes haha

is this what you call "noise"

Box shots are much easier on the camera settings - abit trickier on the timing

I think you've done a great job on these. Noise is the little speckle type grains that are in some pictures. These pictures don't seem to have very much noise. I love the long shutter speed blur on the Merle BC/Aussie. Not sure which breed it is. Looks like Aussie with a tail.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Marley is offline Member

I agree with Buddysmom those are much better than you made them out to be!

Oh, and I need to make a correction about my post above, I said perpindicular but meant parallel for the easy panning shots :-[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast