Exposure Does Not Equal Focus

Thread: Exposure Does Not Equal Focus

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultExposure Does Not Equal Focus

Exposure and focus are NOT the same thing. Sometimes this can be confusing (at least it was for me) because in the auto modes the camera handles both at the same time. In manual, you are setting exposure. You are not setting focus. You can have the most perfectly exposed picture and the focus be very off and vice-a-versa. If when you look at your photos, they aren't as sharp as you would like, this is a FOCUS problem. The only thing that exposure controls is the lightness, darkness and color tones (white balance) of your pictures. Although most professionals use manual exposure for their photo, almost all use autofocus. Autofocus is always achieved by depressing the shutter button half way before taking the picture. I hope this makes things clearer for you.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exposure Does Not Equal Focus

oh, so the little button on the left side of my xti which says, "A/F and M/F" is for focusing, and I don't ned to change to M/F when I'm in the manual mode? Everytime I go to Manual mode, I was changing to M/F. LOL
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

No, you can definitely use manual exposure and autofocus. The P, TV, AV, M (P, S, A, M on Nikon cameras) are EXPOSURE modes. It has nothing to do with focus. The camera will always autofocus unless you change to manual focus on the side of the lens. If you change to manual focus on the side of the lens, you have to turn the lens barrel manually to focus your shot. If you hold the shutter button down half way while you're focusing manually, it will beep and the red focus point in the viewfinder will light up when you've achieved focus.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

What I learned about my lens this week; wish I had known last week. That you set the distance with the big part of the barrel, but the focus with the little band at the end of the barrel.

I did NOT know that you had to focus the lens in addition to setting the distance.

Nikon D40 with Nikor lens that came with the camera and NO documentation on the lens. A camera friend of my husband came to my aid.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

YOU DON'T NEED TO SET THE FOCUS ON YOUR LENS IF YOU SHOOT IN AUTOFOCUS. There should be a switch on the side of your lens that says A/F-M/F. This is the autofocus or manual focus switch. When the switch is set to MF, you have to use the band at the end of the lens to focus your shot. With the switch set to AF, you just have to press your shutter button down halfway and the camera will automatically focus the shot for you. Even most professional photographers use autofocus for most of their shots.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie