Can we talk about lens filters?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about lens filters?

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan we talk about lens filters?

Monnie (Buddysmom) mentioned in another post that keeping a filter on your lens is a good protective measure. I had never even thought of that.

Anyhoo- what is a good filter? When I got my camera, hubby ordered me a set of 3 filters, too. Each filter has a slightly different "haze" to it. Is there a way to tell which filter should be used for the desired application?

I have a feeling (well, more then a feeling, really) that the filters are probably on the cheap. Is there a significant difference between different brands of filters?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can we talk about lens filters?

Everyone should ALWAYS keep at least a UV/Haze filter on EVERY dSLR lens they own. I'm not sure which filters your husband bought you. There are so many different types of filter it's crazy. The two that you will find you use the most are a UV/Haze filter and a Circular Polarizer filter. I would try to go middle of the road filters as far as cost goes. I have a cheap UV and a mid range UV cost wise. I can't tell the difference in my shots. I know in the more specific filters cost does influence quality. I would buy a real cheap circular polarizer or neutral gradient filter.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I have a skylight filter on my 70-200 zoom. It is a great way to protect your lens. I know more than one dog has shoved his nose up my lens, LOL. Thank goodness the filter was on there. I don't mind wiping dog boogers off that

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Aim is offline Senior Member

I just bought a circular polarized filter today. I am happy with it thus far, but I've only taken two pictures with it on. LOL. Now the guy who helped me said you can skimp on the price of UV filters, because they are basically just glass. But you will have to pay for other filters. How true that is, I'm not sure.

Here's one of my daughter with the polarized filter- It helps pop the blues in a picture. Also with color saturation and reflections. I should have taken a picture without it, as well.

This is my dog. His name is Tucker. And we live in Ontario, Canada, eh! <br /><br />

If you read my post, he's correct. That is a great picture of your daughter. Just crop in on either side of her head to get rid of the background.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Aim, that is a beautiful picture of your daughter.

Brookville, Pa.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Aim! Gorgeous picture of your daughter! She is stunning!

What would a FLD filter be? I dug out my filters and they appear to be marked with PL (polarizing?) UV, and FLD. I slapped the UV filter right on. Gosh! I wish I had thought of that before.

OK, so here's a VERY stupid question. You all keep mentioning circular polarizing filters. Aren't they all, like, circular??

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Aim! Gorgeous picture of your daughter! She is stunning!

What would a FLD filter be? I dug out my filters and they appear to be marked with PL (polarizing?) UV, and FLD. I slapped the UV filter right on. Gosh! I wish I had thought of that before.

OK, so here's a VERY stupid question. You all keep mentioning circular polarizing filters. Aren't they all, like, circular??
    Check out this Camera Filters Buying Guide.

I'm not sure what an FLD is. I'll see if I can find out. No all polarizing filters are not the same. Film SLRs take a regular polarizing filter. It does not turn.
    This is the reason you have to use a circular polarizer with an autofocus camera:

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Anne, I found this about FLD filters. Hope this helps.

FLD Filter

The FLD filter, or fluorescent correction filter, is a magenta filter that is often used by commercial photographers to balance daylight film when used under fluorescent lighting situations. Rarely however would a nature photographer find a situation where this filter would be used in the conditions it is intended for. But this filter can be beneficial to the creative photographer. Many of the most pleasing and sought after photographs are those of early or late warm light. Many times the light of a sunrise or sunset has pink or magenta hues within it, and often times the color of the sky can be spectacular because of it. There are times however when the color in the sky never goes from average to spectacular and that is when this filter adds some pop to add interest, mood, and color. The magenta filter accentuates and further saturates the same colors in the scene, and also adds the light magenta tint across the rest of the scene making it appear very natural and appealing.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast