ASSIGNMENT #5 -- CRITIQUE

Thread: ASSIGNMENT #5 -- CRITIQUE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultASSIGNMENT #5 -- CRITIQUE

All in all I think the vast majority of you understand the assignment. I critiqued only your use of DOF and not other factors of your photos. Some of you kept composition in mind, others... well... you did not, but I'm not going to harp on it here. I know this assignment left a lot of you very confused, but from what I can see, I think you all handled it well and I think you all really learned something with this one. Good job all around people.

yellalablady -- good job. You understand DOF

georgie -- nice job with DOF. I think you've got it!

Linda1 -- very good job. You understand it

gingersdad -- nice job with the P&S. I believe you understand it. That's probably the best
    you will get from your camera. One of the best things you can do to improve your photos
    of your dog is to teach your dog the STAY command

ownlabnjrt -- you've not told me which is your Shallow DOF and which is your Broad DOF.
    Do you know? These are very similar. Remember to get Broad DOF you close your aperature
    (higher f/stop) and open your shutter (lower shutter speed). One picture should be
    something like f/11 1/60 and the Shallow DOF would be the opposite... wider aperature such
    as f/4 and higher shutter speed such as 1/250. I'm not sure you got it here

zoesmom -- I think you got it. I really like the Shallow DOF in the first shot. Excellent.

chocco_23 -- I believe you understand it. This is probably the best you'll get out of
    your P&S camera. The first one, the dog is blurry, but the background is a nice DOF, you
    might have gotten even a better DOF on the background if you had gotten a lot closer to the
    dogs face. Good job.

TheBigRaloo -- Yep, you got it. Nice job!!

AbbyandMolly -- I really can't see much difference in these shots. The first one is
    decent Shallow Depth of field, but the 2nd shot you moved in too close to the dog and
    obscured the background. Also I'm not sure what your exposure is. 1/2 is VERY slow.
    And you have the same shutter speed on both images. Your shutter speed should be
    something like 1/250, 1/60, 1/800, etc. Are you sure you are reading your shutter
    speed correctly? Your f/stops are also to similiar to make much difference. Again,
    for Shallow DOF you need a low aperature setting (f/3.1) and a high shutter speed. For
    the Broad DOF you need a high aperature (f/5.6 or more) and low shutter speed. You don't
    mention what camera you have?

mattgusmum -- not sure you got it. I can see a very minimal amount of blur in your first
    shot background. The 2nd shot is nice for a broad depth of field, but you really haven't
    gotten a shallow depth of field. With P&S I think you need to physically get closer to
    the object you are shooting in order to get a nicer blur in the background.

Emyly N Rio -- I think you understand it. The shallow DOF is nice. The Broad could be
    sharper by raising the f/stop and lowering the shutter speed to bring the grasses in the
    background into sharper focus.

hark67 -- You got it. Excellent. I love your composition as well. Very nice shooting!

Aim -- Good attempt. If you had opened the aperature more in the first shot I think
    you'd really see a nice blurred out background that would make that flower pop off the
    page. But you have demonstrated an understanding of the lesson. Good job.

Jimbo -- Excellent shallow DOF. Broad DOF could be sharper, I'd go up to f/11 or higher
    with the sun you have.. you could get all the background in focus. But you do understand
    the DOF assignment. Nice shooting.

Anne -- You could have done better. I think you understand it. I'm guessing the AV is your
    aperature. The first shot should have been higher, f/11 or more, to get all the background
    sharp in focus. Also, I do not understand your shutter speeds? What you have here looks
    way too slow. Can you express shutter speed as 1/25, 1/60, 1/100, 1/250, 1/500 etc? I'm
    not the brightest bulb in the bunch with math stuff And, as I mentioned in an earlier
    post, one of the best ways to get better photos of dogs is to teach them a reliable STAY
    command

shelbyct -- Excellent. You got it perfectly. nice job.

Cinder4ever -- this probably was not the best subject to shoot given the limitations of
    your camera. You needed something with a better background.. or should have sat your
    dog in front of this bush. Not sure you got it

lablover -- Excellent. You've got it.

TroopersMom -- very good result with your camera. Did the flash fire on the first one, it
    looks very yellow. I think you have an understand of the assignment. Nice try!

Kwinon -- Very good with your camera. The 2nd shot could have been improved by getting
    closer to the dog and it looks like the dog or your hands moved, as the dog is out of focus,
    and for it to really be a good shallow DOF, the dog needs to be focused clearly. Overall
    I think you've grasped the idea.

CaliforniaLabLover -- I can only see about one inch of both of your photos (Imageshack is
    not loading for me). But from what I see, you got it. Nice job with both the Broad
    and Shallow DOF.

KLM -- you got it. Excellent.

Labz4me -- good job with your camera. I can see a slight difference in your DOF. The reason
    the colors are different is due to the exposure. Your camera is letting more light in on
    the first shot than the 2nd shot. If you had full control over your settings you could
    correct for this by choosing your own aperature and shutter speeds.

Buckyball -- First shot is excellent shallow DOF. Your 2nd shot has great focus on the
    background, but your main subject is not in focus and should be. I think you probably
    needed to move away from your Tabasco bottle another foot or so to make this shot work.
    You are limited by your lens and camera so you need to use distance to help you. Or you
    need to stop down your aperature a bit (go to f/8 or f/9). But you
    do seem to understand the assignment so I'll pass you on this one

gatorblueeyes -- I love the first shot. Your use of DOF field has made this a very
    interesting photo with focus on the ball and putting the ball in perspective by having
    your dog behind and out of focus. I really love it. Artsy Your 2nd shot could be
    better by stopping down your aperature to make the entire shot in focus (notice the ball
    is not in focus here, you still have a bit of narrow/shallow DOF happening). Nice job
    on the assignment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ASSIGNMENT #5 -- CRITIQUE

ahhh..I thought both shots HAD TO be from the same distance. Yeah if I move it away the broad DOF comes out well.
    (Am I posting this response in the right spot? If not let me know I will move it)
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ideally we wanted you to stay in the same location/distance for this exercise, but knowing that the majority of P&S camera's won't give you the desired results, it is okay to move on those. Folks with dSLR's should be able to manually set their cameras for the results.

We will be learning a LOT more about exposure that will help everyone to understand Exercise #5 better, in the upcoming lessons.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

excellent!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

JL Photography Class Critique of Lesson 5

Georgie – Great job. You have a good understanding of how to get DOF in your pictures.

Linda1 – Also a good job. Wish you had included more of the background in #2, but that’s OK. We can see the blurred background.

Gingersdad – Wish you had repositioned her in the same spot. Good try. It is so hard to do with a P&S.

Ownlabnjrt – Good attempt. When you’re going for broad DOF, try using a number larger than f/5. It’s hard inside because it cuts down on the light. To get good broad DOF, you really need to be above f/9.

Zoesmom - Good job. Your shallow DOF is right on. The rocks in your broad DOF are nice and sharp. There is no way to get water sharp at this SS. If you had decreased the AV to around f/16, you could have increased your SS and gotten better freeze action to the water. Since water is always moving, it always gives this silky look at a slow SS.

Chocco_23 – Yes, this is the best you can probably do with a P&S. You do have some blurriness in the first shot. Your second shot is pretty sharp. Good try.

TheBigRaloo – Very good job. These are right on the mark. I think you are misunderstanding the minimum aperture. I forget which lens you’re using, but let’s say it’s the 28-105mm. The minimum aperture at 28mm is f/3.5. The minimum aperture at 105mm is f/8.0. Those numbers don’t represent the minimum and maximum apertures. They just represent the minimum aperture at the extremes of the focal range. Your lens should have a maximum aperture of around f/22.

AbbyandMolly – I think you’ve got the idea. You should have tried to get the photo closer to being the same.

Mattgusmum – there isn’t much, if any, difference. The main reason is because you are too far way from your subject with a P&S camera to get good DOF on the shallow shot.

Emyly N Rio – I think these look good. LOL It’s hard to tell on the broad DOF because of the type of background. Looking at the EXIF data, it should be nice and sharp.

Hark67 – Very nice job. I love the sheep. Well done.

Aim – What a beautiful Hibiscus. On the first shallow DOF, you should have had your aperture below f/4.6. This would have increased your SS and given a nice blurred background.

Jimbo – Good job. I might have increased the ISO to 200 for the 2nd photo. That way you could have increased your AV even more and gotten the background in even better focus.

Anne – You actually have captured the essence of this assignment. The only problem with your broad DOF is you have camera shake from such a low SS.

Shelbyct - Well done.

Cinder4evr – I think you’ve done the best job you can with a P&S camera. This really is a lesson for dSLRs. I hope you just understand what is supposed to happen. If you ever to upgrade to a dSLR, you’ll be ahead of the game.

Lablover – Good job. The infinity setting tries to get the fastest SS it can. To do that it has to use a larger aperture. That’s why you didn’t get any better DOF than you did. You tried. Good job.

TroopersMom – This is very good. Yes, it is broad DOF. It may not be the sharpest focus it could be, but it’s a lot sharper than the first one. Good job.

Kwinon – Good job. Looks like you understood the lesson.

CaliforniaLabLover – Another good job. Remember one thing. Auto FOCUS and Auto EXPOSURE are 2 different things. The auto modes on your camera do both things at the same time. This may lead you to believe they’re one and the same. On the creative side of the camera; TV, AV, Manual, they are done separately.

KLM – Great job. You got it.

Labz4Me – Good try. It’s hard with auto to see much difference. The color difference is probably from the way the camera handles the light in these two settings.

Buckyball – Good try. The 1st one is good. You’re too close to the bottle at this SS and AV to get a clear shot of it.

GatorBlueyes – Nice job. The 2nd shot does need more light. It’s underexposed.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    ahhh..I thought both shots HAD TO be from the same distance.
    (Am I posting this response in the right spot? If not let me know I will move it)
    That is what I thought as well ..........sorry if I misunderstood :-\

Won't someone please feed me!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Thanks. It is hard to keep the dog still while I change settings. :

chocco_23 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mattgusmum
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    ahhh..I thought both shots HAD TO be from the same distance.
    Dang! I thought this too! God i am ditsy sometimes!! My shot probably could of been better if i knew you could alter the distance from which you took the picture!!

Ahhh well, i think my pictures were the best i could get with my p&s camera anyway.

Thanks for the critiques, superb as always!

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

You really shouldn't change the distance from your subject. BUT, when you're up close and personal, sometimes you have to move out just a few mm to get the subject in focus.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

chocco_23 Guest

Oh right! We WERE meant to stay the same distance away from our subject in both pictures, thats OK then, because thats what i did