Need help with light meter ...

Thread: Need help with light meter ...

TheBigRaloo is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed help with light meter ...

Let me say first, I have read my manual (Canon PowerShot S2IS). And re-read it. I have read Understanding Exposure. And re-read it. I have searched online. And I can't find my answer. Here is my question ...

I have no idea how to use my camera's light meter (I don't know what it is, and I can't find it). Here are the three things that I think might be a light meter?

1. I have a function called "Exposure Compensation" that can be used in TV and AV modes ... it runs from -2 to +2.

2. I have a light-measurement histogram that indicates if the photo is too light or too dark ... but that shows up after the photo is taken.

3. I have the LCD screen that brightens and darkens as I change the aperture and shutter speed.

Is one of these three items considered my light meter?

... thanks in advance!

P.S. Don't know if anyone saw the shockingly over-exposed snow picture of Raleigh that I posted in Lab Chat today ... but that explains why I REALLY want to find my light meter. ;D

Ivy and Raleigh - BFF since 2001<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with light meter ...

#1 is not your light meter.

#2 is not your light meter, but a histogram can be used to determine exposure. If you look at the histogram of a picture you take, it should spike in the middle area, not on either end.

#3, I'm clueless as to why your LCD screen is doing that.

When you look thru your viewfinder do you see any kind of bar indicators? something like this perhaps? - |||||||||0||||||||+ If you see something like that, it is your lightmeter and you use it to help you set your exposure correctly (on the 0 indicator in the middle).

Thanks, raian. I don't see anything like this - |||||||||0||||||||+ on my viewfinder, or my LCD screen (or in my manual, for that matter). >

My LCD screen (and my viewfinder) brightens and darkens as I change my aperture, shutter speed, and ISO value ... giving me a preview of what the changes are doing to my photo before I press the shutter. I am currently using the LCD screen to determine when the photo looks right, and choosing my settings accordingly. I'm thinking that this might be the closest thing that my camera has to a light meter. ???

This method works fine inside, and on overcast days. But in bright sun (or the snow) I can't see the LCD screen clearly. >

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just googled your manual.

Check page 84.
    The shutter speed and aperture value will show on the LCD monitor and viewfinder. The correct exposure has been set if the shutter speed and aperture value is shown in white on the LCD or viewfinder when the shutter button is depressed halfway.

If the correct exposure has not been set, it will be red.

This is pretty much your "light meter". Adjust these settings so they show up white. If they are red, adjust them until they are white.

Since I don't have your camera I can only quote from the manual

Also, for more information on using your histogram check page 32.

Thank you, again!

I know exactly what they are referring to re: shutter speed and aperture being shown in white. I have never seen them go red ... I doubt that it's because I have the correct exposure every time. :P Maybe I've just never noticed it.

I'll go play with the camera to see if I can get it to go red. Sheesh, Canon, wouldn't a simple meter have been easier? LOL. :-\

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

In my camera, #1 is my light meter. How do you get the thing to change from -2 to +2. Half way in between at 0 should be a correct exposure. Hope this helps.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Monnie, on his camera that is the Exposure Compensation, not light meter. It will stop down +/- 1/3 if something is extremely backlit or there are bright lights in night scenes.