Opinions on this picture of Molly in the snow (criqtiques more then welcome)

Thread: Opinions on this picture of Molly in the snow (criqtiques more then welcome)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpinions on this picture of Molly in the snow (criqtiques more then welcome)

I took some pictures of the girls playing in the snow today and I really like this picture although I'm well aware that it's not perfect. I would love some tips (or tricks) on how I could improve shots of a black girl in the snow as well as what is wrong/good in this picture.

I had it on manual and was pretty much just messing around with the different settings, here are the settings for this picture:
    Flash was not fired
    ISO: 80
    f 4.5
    1/640 (no clue what this number represents)
    focal length: 106mm
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinions on this picture of Molly in the snow (criqtiques more then welcome)

Are you sure your flash didn't fire?

DefaultRe: Opinions on this picture of Molly in the snow (criqtiques more then welcome)

it's possible that it did, but the symbol on my camera was the "no flash" one...I read it off the info that the camera gave me, it's possible that i read it wrong

how do you get to the photo info tool on the computer?
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Download it from Microsoft. Once it's installed, all you do is move your cursor over the .jpg and the info will pop up. Or just right click on the .jpg and click photo info.

cool thanks
    *Stacey*

Try using the SCENE mode on your camera, and then use the setting for SNOW... Online Manual

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Also, watch your composition. You've cut off her legs which is horrible :P I like to see the entire dog OR a portrait head shot.
    Can you change your ISO? 80 is a weird #, I can't imagine that you set this. Use at least 200 for this. The snow in your shot is exposed very nicely, but the dog is underexposed. Since the dog is the main focus, I'd adjust my settings to expose the dog better (use a higher ISO/lower f/stop and lower shutter speed. If you can't control the ISO, drop your shutter speed to allow more light in. Try it at 1/500 and again at 1/400 just to see what kind of exposure you get on the dog then.