Question about Taking Pics in Manual Mode

Thread: Question about Taking Pics in Manual Mode

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about Taking Pics in Manual Mode

okay...I'm going to try but how in the heck do you get a great shot in manual mode if your dog or child is the subject?

Having to adjust all the settings takes time, and I lose the moment. ???

Yesterday, there was a really pretty "rainbow" reflection on Zoe's head coming off my wine glass. By the time I adjusted the camera, the rainbow was gone.

edit to add: photographing birds too...don't they ever fly away while you're doing all the adjustments?
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about Taking Pics in Manual Mode

When I'm in a crunch for time, I use Tv mode and manually set the EC, shutter speed and ISO or Av mode and manually set EC, aperture and ISO. For now, I only use M mode when the lighting conditions suck and I have time to play around with the settings.

Also, once you get familiar with your camera and all the damn settings :P, you'll be able to change the settings very quickly...

Here's an online article that's very helpful.... http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Once you set up for a particular place, you are pretty much set as long as conditions don't change. For example, if I'm out shooting my dogs in the field as they play and I set for my f/stop and ISO all I really need to do is change my shutter speed. Once you start shooting in manual, you will be able to change shutter speed quickly. Even then, if you are shooting the same thing over and over... say I'm trying to get Ruger in action out in the field, usually once my shutter speed is set I don't change anything if I stay in that location and the conditions don't change.

If the conditions change, like if it clouds up suddenly, then yes, you need to readjust your exposure.

If I'm out hiking and I come up on wildlife, like a hawk overhead or deer or otter, etc., and I know I don't have time to set manual settings, I will flip it to Auto just so I don't miss the picture all together. What I usually do is shoot a few in Auto and if the wildlife stays, I will then shoot some in Manual as well. 9 times out of 10 the shots I get in Manual are much nicer than the Auto shots.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I've gotten where I don't even notice the numbers part of the time. I just sliding scale and when it's where I want it, if take the pictures. I usually set whatever AV that I want. Then I just use the scale to know when the picture should be well exposed. I know you've heard this before, but WE WILL GET TO THIS NEXT WEEK. Just try this week. It will all make sense. I promise.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks all. Okay, will try. ???\
    I really need to sit down and read my manual. Just never enough time in a day.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[