Question re: Lefties

Thread: Question re: Lefties

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion re: Lefties

How in the world do you operate a camera when the button is on the top right? Do you hold the camera in your right hand?

Yesterday, I was trying to cast a rubber chicken (attached to a fishing pole) using my right hand, and was going to take a pic holding the camera in my left. It was nearly impossible.

Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question re: Lefties

You do what I do. Cast the rubber chicken with your right hand, drop the fishing pole quick, and grab the camera, finding the dog, focus and shoot. LOL YES, this really is how I take action shots of Buddy. I don't use a fishing pole, though. I use a Chuck-It. If I want to get a panning shot. I sit Buddy at a distance on my right. Throw the ball off to my left, drop the Chuck-It, grab the camera (which is hanging around my neck, btw), and pan on Buddy as he running across in front of me. It can be done. Just practice, practice, practice.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    You do what I do. Cast the rubber chicken with your right hand, drop the fishing pole quick, and grab the camera, finding the dog, focus and shoot. LOL YES, this really is how I take action shots of Buddy. I don't use a fishing pole, though. I use a Chuck-It. If I want to get a panning shot. I sit Buddy at a distance on my right. Throw the ball off to my left, drop the Chuck-It, grab the camera (which is hanging around my neck, btw), and pan on Buddy as he running across in front of me. It can be done. Just practice, practice, practice.
    LOL
    My neighbors must have thought I totally lost it. Got lots of butt shots, lots of half head shots...some of only grass. :-\
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm lucky that I have a huge field to play around in. I need it, if I'm going to get any action shots. I would take the shots at the beach where you have more room. This is why I say this week it's ok to crop. Here's one of the shots I took yesterday. I have to get this far way to be able to throw the frisbee, grab the camera and shoot. Forget about composition.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Nice shot, Monnie.

oh, and about composition. If I do use one of Zoe in our yard, the shot may contain our fence and neighbors' houses in the background. But I guess this assignment is about freezing, and not so much about composition?
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Exactly, IMO. Unless I do some jump shots, I can't worry about composition, if I can't crop.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Seriously, you'd think they'd make a camera with left handed controls. I never thought about this. Lefties are always SOOL.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

As far as I know, the only company to ever make left-haded cameras was Exacta out of East Germany. They stopped production of their left-handed SLR in 1970 though. I think Leica made some during the war as well, but I'm not positive.